Dog proofing split rail fence.

Old 03-22-19, 04:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dog proofing split rail fence.

I need to dog proof a large area of fencing to keep my dogs in my yard. It's a split rail fence that they can get under. I'm looking for ideas that are simple and will look nice. So far I'm thinking of drilling holes in each post between rails and adding a cable. This will look fairly decent but will be a bit of a project with hundreds of rails to drill through. I don't want to staple the cable on as kids climbing will work it loose and wont look as nice. I am open to any ideas you have for me. My dogs are both over 100lbs so it doesn't need to contain a small dog. I'll attach a pic of my fence. Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-19, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While it's somewhat dependent on the size and personality of the dog, I doubt a single cable will work. You almost need a wire fence attached to the split rail fence. IMO the best looking option would be one of those invisible fences which use a wire in the ground and a collar on the dog. The dog will get a shock if he gets too close to the fence and learns to stay away.

Old 03-23-19, 04:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Yea, I think an underground invisible fence would be the cheapest, easiest and most attractive option. Other than that I think you need a whole new fence. You can keep the one you have there but need some type of additional solid fencing and even jumping a 4' high fence probably isn't all that difficult for a 100 pound dog. Chain link is probably the most common though possibly the ugliest. There are numerous other types of wire fencing that would be good options.

Old 03-23-19, 05:50 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
As much as I don't like the invisible fence, I think Mark and PD are correct.

Old 03-23-19, 06:19 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Invisible fence won't work. He figured out if he runs through it fast the shock won't be to bad but then he is stuck on the other side. Wont shock himself to get back in. They are bullmastiffs and can not jump a 4 foot fence. Thanks for the replies

Old 03-23-19, 06:28 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
In that case you could add another rail on the first and second section. It won't look perfect but if done correctly it should blend in.

Old 03-23-19, 06:58 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by crashmydaytona
Invisible fence won't work.
He figured out if he runs through it fast the shock won't be to bad but then he is stuck on the other side.
Wont shock himself to get back in.
They are bullmastiffs and can not jump a 4 foot fence.
You need to think like about this like livestock fencing.

Training - ala Pavlov's dogs.

Install the invisible fence just BEYOND the wooden fence.

Tack a "training" mesh of chicken wire along the inside lower edge of the fence to slow them down.

Add a "training" run of electric fence along the outside lower edge of the fence to reinforce the collar.

After about 3 weeks, they should respect the fence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: