Fit 2" gate wheel on 1" gate

Old 04-24-19, 11:43 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fit 2" gate wheel on 1" gate

The six-foot gate to my garden is made out of 1" metal tubing. Over time, the weight of the gate pulled the post over slightly so that the gate drags on the ground. I couldn't find a gate wheel for 1" tubing, so I bought one that attaches to 2" tubing.

What's a good way to make this work with my gate? I was going to buy some metal strapping and wrap it around the gate tube until it's 2" in diameter. Anybody have a better idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-19, 12:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
You just need something to shim the size up. Almost anything solid could be used. Steel, pvc pipe, anything solid that can't be easily compressed.

Old 04-24-19, 01:51 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I even thought about making a wood "adapter," but that'd rot eventually. I hadn't thought about PVC. Unfortunately, the ends of the metal tubing are welded to other tubing, so I can't simply slip a pipe over the existing 1" tubing. I'd have to cut up any tubing to make a shim. That might not be too bad because once I tighten the C-clamp that the wheel axle is welded to, nothing's going to fall out even if it's just random pieces of PVC. Thanks!

Old 04-24-19, 06:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Yea, you can stack up pieces of PVC. Cut the pipe into nibblets of the needed length. Then cut them in half lengthwise and you can fit them over the pipe. If the fit isn't what you want you can heat the PVC in a oven or with a heat gun (wear heavy gloves) and when it gets to the right temperature it's very flexible and easy to form. You can make it match whatever curve you want.