How do I Keep my new Dog-Ear fence looking new?

Old 04-28-19, 05:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I Keep my new Dog-Ear fence looking new?

Just put up a new dog-eared privacy fence, What do I use to treat it to keep it looking new? Others I've seen always turn gray after a year.

Old 04-28-19, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Cedar and other woods will naturally gray due to UV light. There is no permanent solution to this, as every product you think of using will require maintenance/ reapplication. If you want the fence to remain natural colored, simply apply a product like Thompsons waterseal as needed (every few months). However eventually the fence will need power washing and brightening with a wood bleach. Sealing the wood with a spar varnish or polyurethane is also not a permanent answer, and creates new maintenence problems of it's own.

Others elect to use a semi transparent or solid color stain on their fence since it will give you the most maintenance free longevity.

Most people however simply accept the fact that cedar fences turn gray and they don't fight it, just giving it a power washing as they see fit.

Old 04-28-19, 06:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response!

Old 04-29-19, 02:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
TWS won't prevent the wood from turning grey although it might slow it down some. TWS can make it difficult for other stains to successfully be applied over it.

You might like a translucent or toner stain. It's mostly clear with a little bit of color. They don't normally weather as long as a semi-transparent which doesn't last as long as a solid stain.

Old 04-29-19, 03:31 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Others elect to use a semi transparent or solid color stain on their fence since it will give you the most maintenance free longevity.
Out of all the choices this is probably the best. It's what I have done on mine. I use a Thompson's satin and it last about 3 to 5 years. North facing side I haven't re-stained at all and it still looks like almost new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: