Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Best way to secure top of replacement 6x6 post for carport

Old 05-21-19, 09:19 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Howdy all. I had to replace a carport column due to rotting at the base, and replacing the remainder is definitely happening in the near future. The old post was a 6x6 sitting directly on the concrete and toe nailed up top. I did use a Simpson post base to get it off the concrete, but Iím still debating how to secure it to the top. I could toe nail it like before, but was thinking about using something more secure. Let me first explain the connection. The post is a 6x6 but the cross beam it connects to is actually 3 2x4s and a 1x4 sandwiched together. This means the 6x6 sticks out past the edge about half an inch, which limits my options since one side isnít flush.

My initial plan was to use a pair of Simpson ZMax adjustable post caps (link below), but the middle of the post wouldnít be making contact with the crossbeam. It seems these caps are better suited for connecting 2x6 boards together.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...PC6Z/100375028

My other thought is to use a T-strap on the flush side, and straps on the left and right sides (the kind that are l-shaped with flat sides that Iíd bolt in the ďelbowĒ so to speak). That would leave nothing on the outer not-flush side though.

Any thoughts here? The base isnít bolted down and Iím not planning to since the posts are right at the edge of the carport and wedge anchors need to be at least 3 inches from the edge from what Iíve read.

Also, I wanted to prime and paint the post before putting up, but everything Iíve read says to wait for the treated post to dry out first. Ideally Iíd think the whole bottom of the post should be painted but with the base on (itís partly exposed underneath), thatíll be a challenge. Link below to what Iím using. I was thinking about just taking the post down after it dries out enough, but then Iíd be re-drilling the holes for the top plates or toe-nails when going back up. Thoughts? Iím probably overthinking this but want to get it done right. Taking it down later just to paint feels like overkill.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...A66Z/100375370

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: