Fence post options

Old 06-10-19, 04:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fence post options

I'm planning on building a wood fence, either dog eared or shadow box. It will either be 6'or a combination of 4'and 6',depending on how it works against the neighbor's fencing. I'm planning on using steel posts and I've been looking around and most, if not all, of the bigger local fencing contractors just drive posts into the ground without concrete. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts and experiences with that and also looking for a better source for 10'posts and also what diameter I should use. I'm planning on setting them 4' down to get below the frost line and can't find many local options over 8'. I'm in the Madison, WI area. Thanks for any help!

Old 06-11-19, 04:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Looking for a better source than what? The diameter will depend on the height and construction of your fence, so the first step is to decide on 4' high or 6'. Also, posts are available in different wall thicknesses so you can get similar strength in a smaller diameter pipe if you wish though a larger diameter will have better anchoring in the ground.

Old 06-11-19, 06:18 AM
J
The only place I can find 10' posts locally is fence installers, who aren't really in the retail business. I haven't found a local fence supplier and the only big box I can find with the longer posts is $48 for 1-7/8" and $58 for 2-3/8" so I was trying to find a something a little more competitive. I know some of the fence is going to be 6',we don't actually close in the house until next week so I'm trying to figure out the suppliers ahead of time.

I forgot to mention the big box would also be special order, they don't stock either size.

Last edited by Jkalsch; 06-11-19 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Add additional info
Old 06-11-19, 07:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
If nobody stocks locally what you need that sort of makes things easier as you can now order what you want/need and have it shipped. No compromise for what the home center carries. Now, that you've blown the gates off you are free to look at other fencing systems and are no longer tied to using just galvanized round posts.

Old 06-11-19, 10:28 AM
J
Do you have any suggestions other than the round galvanized? The only other one I saw that looked interesting was https://www.homedepot.com/p/PostMaster-8-ft-Postmaster-633664/204841591. I'm going to try to find 10'

Old 06-11-19, 04:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Big box home centers are not the only source. Look elsewhere and you will find other options.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: