Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Replace chain link with privacy fence - easy, strong, yet look good

Replace chain link with privacy fence - easy, strong, yet look good

Old 09-04-19, 10:51 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Replace chain link with privacy fence - easy, strong, yet look good

Hi folks,

I want to replace my chain link fence with a privacy fence the easiest way possible while maintaining integrity of the fence (not rotting in the future, being stable, etc.). I'd like to add a bracket to avoid rot.

I mentioned to my wife the idea of keeping the metal posts, extending them upward, and building the wood fence over them, but she didn't like the fact that you could still see the metal posts, even if only from the other side...

So here's the question.... how easy can I make this process?
Easy: Can I lop off the chain link post where it meets the concrete, drill in a bracket into the dry concrete, and attach the new wooden fence post to it?

Moderate: Can I lop off the chain link post where it meets the concrete, add some new concrete, attach the bracket to the wet concrete before it dries, and attach the new privacy fence posts to it?

Moderate-Hard: Drill a hole the size of the chain link fence post into the middle of my privacy fence posts and stick those over the chain link posts like a cover

Hard: Or do I need to do all the work of digging the concrete out, replacing it with new concrete, attaching the bracket, and attaching the new posts?

Thank you!
-DG

Old 09-04-19, 11:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
My opinion is that none of the chain link items, including their concrete would be good to reuse for a taller, solid privacy fence. A solid fence will have a lot more windage than an open chain link so it will tend to get blown over much easier. Add to that going higher and the problem only becomes worse. I think you would be better off just removing the old fence and installing the new one without reusing the old chain link concrete footers.

Old 09-04-19, 11:26 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was afraid of that. I definitely don't want to keep dealing with it if it keeps falling over in the wind. Not worth it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: