Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Reuse chain link fence posts for wood fence along asphalt driveway

Old 09-29-19, 11:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, first time poster here. Apologies if this had been answered before - I know there have been lots of threads on the forum related to reusing chain link fence posts for a wood fence, but I wasn't quite able to find anything that matches my situation.

Here's the deal. I have an old chain link fence running along my driveway that I want to replace with a 6' tall wooden fence. The thought was to use brackets to attach a vertical, 6' tall 2x4 to each existing post, then screw or nail the fence boards into the 2x4s. The fence boards would be horizontal 1x4s with 4" gaps in between (we like the look of the "sparse" horizontal fence, hence the gaps).

My main concern is the structural integrity of the existing fence posts. We get strong winds regularly - think routine nor'easters and the occasional hurricane. The existing posts are hollow metal, 1-5/8" diameter and 4' tall. I can easily bend the metal by hand. A friend suggested pouring concrete down the posts to make them rigid (after carefully leveling them). Seems reasonable to me, but I'm still worried about the integrity of their contact with the ground. They are currently driven down into an asphalt driveway, and rock side-to-side about half an inch if you push on them. They seem to be driven down pretty far, but I have no idea what's underneath the asphalt, or whether there is anything else other than the strength of the underlying ground holding them in.

The rocking is the main thing that makes me worried - I'm afraid that over time they will work themselves loose and/or cause cracks in the driveway. On the other hand, the fact that we are leaving gaps in the fence (wind can blow through), and reinforcing the posts with 2x4s might make it okay?

Any ideas or suggestions about what the best way forward is?

Last edited by Greg Christian; 09-29-19 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-19, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
- Hi.. I guess it'll depend on how long you expect this retro fit to last. Overall it sounds like a reasonable plan but my concern as you mentioned, is that you can bend the existing 4' post by hand. I gather they are not the tradition posts (larger gauge, galvanized ) posts used in chain link fencing. Since the posts are 'rocking', they're apparently not secured enough in the ground..and with the added weight of your wood..I have doubts this would last. It might best to start New..and get your New posts (4x4's) deeper in the ground and rigid. Then add your fence..
Just my opinion.

Old 09-30-19, 01:10 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
I can easily bend the metal by hand.
A small chain link fence does not require much support since the fence is open and no wind load.

A solid 6' fence is very different and requires deep solid 4x6 or 6x6 posts, 4' deep (10' posts).

Attempting to attach to chain link posts are probably going to fail!