Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Should I install a fence during or after a flagstone patio build?

Old 10-11-22, 05:30 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello community! I am starting a new project and could use your help. I am 100% redoing this entire area. I am knocking out the middle wall and putting in a French door. Next comes a flagstone patio in most of the area you see in the rectangle.

We are going to build a lower 40 tall fence just behind where you see the black wall. In the same area is where I will excavate 8-inches to build a flagstone patio. My long winded question is, should I build the fence during the excavation phase or after the impacted phase (road base and decomposed granite). I am just confused on how to do this and make sure the fence has a good footing. Perhaps the fence should be anchored down farther than 8-inches anyway which would give me more solid footing? Sonotubes with Simpson strong ties?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this! In short, just wondering how to make sense of the patio build and fence build while making sure the fence is solid.

Old 10-12-22, 12:24 AM
Received 1,062 Upvotes on 963 Posts
We are going to build a lower 40” tall fence just behind where you see the black wall.
I am just confused on how to do this and make sure the fence has a good footing. Perhaps the fence should be anchored down farther than 8-inches
Confused also. So the new wall is being built behind the existing wall, some type of post and rail construction?

If your using posts you will defiantly need to go deeper than 8", more like 24-30" for stability meaning your going to want to do that long before you start laying the patio stone!

Old 10-12-22, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
At a minimum, I would at least get the posts in first. A 4' fence should have 6' posts. Typically sonotubes are not needed as the soil is all the form you need, and backfill is not desirable since it is not compacted. You will be partially excavating around the post later, but your road base will compact well around that half of the post footing.

Old 10-12-22, 06:35 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I disagree with the order of construction. I think you should start at the house and work outward, which means the fence will go in last. That way, no danger of fence damage during the other construction. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your project. And the fence will not hinder the other phases of construction.

Old 10-12-22, 09:50 AM
Received 1,062 Upvotes on 963 Posts
In the same area is where I will excavate 8-inches to build a flagstone patio.
It reads as if the fence and patio will occupy the same area, you would not do the patio then tear up sections to install the fence or as noted the posts!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: