Old fireplace replacement questions

Old 02-01-16, 12:51 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old fireplace replacement questions

Help me with how to proceed...

We took out the old fireplace unit that had a blower and this is what we currently have.

Option 1 - place gas insert in this opening and surround and trim around making it appealing to the eye.

Option 2 - continue to rip out all the black metal and start with all new gas fireplace and direct vent up and out.

Thoughts? We want to keep it affordable.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-16, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What you have left is the remnants of a wood burning fireplace, less the side walls. The two pipes in the sides took radiated hot air and sent it to the fans for distribution. The hole in the bottom is apparently an ash pit door.

I don't know how successful you will be in removing the fireplace since it is bricked in. The flanges of the fireplace will most likely extend behind the brick and are fastened to framing. Is there a functional chimney? Does it have a stainless steel liner? Is there a chimney cap? Sorry for all the questions, but those answers will determine what you can or can't do with this.

Old 02-03-16, 09:20 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, there is a functional chimney. Yes there is a cap.

The guy I'm working with thinks we can continue with an insert in the existing hole. I think that will be the "most afforadable" route.

Old 02-03-16, 09:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree, since tearing out the surround will take brick with it. Just make sure the spent gasses have a good way of evacuation.