Cleaning Creosote & Soot from Stainless Steel

Old 04-20-16, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Creosote & Soot from Stainless Steel

In order to reflect some heat from my fireplace insert back into the room and protect the back wall from a cracking problem, the chimney sweep put a stainless steel plate between the wall and the log grate. Works well but now it's black from the fires and looks terrible. I'd like to clean it and need some suggestions on what would be good to use. I would normally use Simple Green, get as much of the soot and creosote off with a stiff scrub brush, then "polish" it using finer grits of sand paper or the scuff pads, they use to prep a car for paint, until I can get it back to a "brushed looking" finish.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Don't know if it would work, but the first thing I thought of is something I have I my garage... CMT saw blade cleaner. Its kind of like citristrip, I think. I bet easy-off oven cleaner might work too.

Old 04-20-16, 05:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Can you remove the stainless reflector? If so it will be a lot easier to work on. I'd start by cleaning with Simple Green, Purple Power or even GoJo to remove as much soot as possible. Then use a Scotch Brite pad to scrub off what remains. Having a continuous stream of water to wash away the particles when Scotch Briting will help carry the soot away faster. Of course... it will just soot back up when fire season comes around again.

Old 04-20-16, 05:48 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
Any cirtus cleaner you work.

Old 04-22-16, 09:04 AM
Yes the plate can be removed, so I'll take it into the basement, use the laundry tub down there and scrub it with Simple Green first, then use the Scotch Brite pads to finish it off. I know it'll just get as dirty next season but for now it just looks terrible sitting in there making the back wall just look completely black and sooty.

I was going to take some pictures but don't have a digital camera and my phone only makes phone calls! Thanks to all for the info and suggestions.

Old 04-22-16, 09:53 AM
S
We usually paint the stainless steel firebacks with flat black high temp paint. Most people dont like the shiny steel firebacks so the black is preferred. And obviously the soot wont show up as much. Even the high temp paints seem to need a touch up coat once a year. If you really like the stainless steel look, I use a product called bar keepers friend on my stainless grill and it works good. Stainless steel does change color at high temp so it will never look new again.
Glad you hired a chimney cleaning company instead of DIY chimney sweeping. Building a fire in your home is one area that shouldnt be taken lightly!

Last edited by stickshift; 04-22-16 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Removed link