Off Set Wood Burner Stove Pipe

Old 09-15-16, 11:47 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Off Set Wood Burner Stove Pipe

Intend replacing wood burning stove, my problem is the existing stove outlet is approx. 4" forward of the rear of the stove and finding a replacement that aligns with the existing chimney limits my choices because of the distance from where the stove pipe outlet to the edge of the hearth.

Can I set the stove back approx. 4", much more than that then side clearance becomes an issue, and use an offset pipe, perhaps of the flexible type, not excited about using a 90 degree adapter.

Suggestions/Comments Appreciated!!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-16, 12:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
There are offset flue pipes for both single and double wall types. They are available with different offset amounts. You can also create your own offset with 30 degree pieces.

Old 09-15-16, 12:37 PM
L
I would like to come up with an alternative with the least imprint. Need to do some research as to the types of offsets stove pipe supplier's offer. Appears two (2) 45's will come out with approx. 5 1/2", to address the side clearance seems the offset would also allow for shifting the stove slightly to the left. Certainly going to take time to get my head wrapped around the idea of twist and turns in the stove pipe.

I greatly appreciate the information!!

Old 09-25-16, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
From where are you buying your new stove?

The dealer is VERY likely to be VERY motivated to help solve your issue.

Personally, I'd avoid a flexible vent section. Those are usually aluminum and designed for gas anyway, and would not be satisfactory for the much higher temperatures of a wood stove.

There's something to be said for minimizing or avoiding elbows --- they make it a lot harder to run a cleaning brush down the vent pipe.

Old 09-25-16, 02:25 PM
Measure carefully. Your existing hearth may be big enough to accommodate the new stove without changes. The new stove has a diagram of clearance to combustible surfaces ---- check that out with care to see what you really need to do.

Old 09-25-16, 02:29 PM
Two 45 degree elbows probably have the length and flexibility to accommodate the change. They can be adjusted to varying angles to fit your new installation. If necessary, you can add a short piece of straight pipe to give you more length to make the needed transition.

Old 09-25-16, 02:39 PM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Appears two (2) 45's will come out with approx. 5 1/2", to address the side clearance seems the offset would also allow for shifting the stove slightly to the left. Certainly going to take time to get my head wrapped around the idea of twist and turns in the stove pipe.
I have the two 45's just below the ceiling box and you really don't pay them much attention. And I might add that they don't cause any draft issues that I am aware of.

Old 09-25-16, 03:13 PM
L
Greatly appreciate the information!!

I have not decided on the wood burning stove. There are a couple of online stove supplier's that offer majority of the features I am looking for; however, the stoves I am interested in the previous reputable manufacturer has sold the business and over a period of a few years there are no current manufacturer customer reviews available. If decide to go this route the offset will probably be required.

In my location wood burning stoves are a part of life, there are 2-3 reputable supplier's who rely on local support to remain in business. I have browsed these businesses and appears the appears I am limited to selection based on the size of my small 1200 sq. ft., if the case then may not require an offset, they are described as putting out the heat but in my view appear awfully small for a medium size stove?

Came across a 90 degree section of stove pipe that one can rotate in a variety of angles and surprised I was able to create a 90 with minimal imprint, but as mentioned multiple flex offset may pose a problem with sealing?

Old 09-25-16, 03:22 PM
L
Again, I thank U's all for the input!!

I have not decided on stove soon, replacing the current stove will likely save at least a cord per season.