Installing fire place insert in place of stove

Old 10-02-16, 08:25 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Installing fire place insert in place of stove

Hello, what we have is a house with a basement. In the basement there is a wood burning insert built around it is a chimney. it goes thru the middle of the kitchen out the roof of the house. In the kitchen once sat a wood stove that had a vent pipe connecting up to the chimney. The dimensions in the kitchen is 76 in wide and 31 in deep. Its height is about 3 foot then reduces to 32 in wide and goes out the roof. What we would like to do is put a fire place built in the chimeny on the second floor. Im pretty sure this is impossible if we keep the wood buring instert in the basement. So one idea is to put gas no vented in the basement and kitchen and cap the chimney. Another thought is to cap the basemnt someway and put a wood burning fireplace in the kitchen although my wife doesn't like the idea of wood. Also I notice a crack in the chimeys pipe. My thoughts are for the kitchen is to use a mason cutter and cut the block in the kitchen to put the insert. But I need advice on how support the chimney where Block is removed and how to buid a foundation in the chimney for to set insert on. Also should I stick to my wifes advice on just using gas or is there hop for wood. Right now what is in the kitchen is an eye sore to my wife and we are doing this remodel. At the moment she wants me to take the chimney down below kitchen sub floor and add new foor. But that seems like alot of work. Please All adive is appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-03-16, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding just what you want to do Each flue inside your chimney can only accommodate one exhaust, whether it be wood or gas.

Old 10-03-16, 09:09 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A century ago it was common to have a fireplace on each floor like you want but unless your house is quite old, and you can see signs that there originally was a full fireplace in the kitchen it's probable that your kitchen flue was intended only for a small stovepipe thimble.

You might be able to install a free-standing woodstove in the kitchen and vent it through your existing flue but you'll need to pull a permit, build to existing fire codes and have the flue (and surrounding masonry) inspected to see if it is correct for a woodstove.

Even IF everything is structurally sound and the masonry was done properly and not butted up against flammable building materials, you should also check with your homeowners insurance agent about your plan. Insurance companies REALLY don't like woodburners and you may find yourself cancelled or paying a big premium.

Old 10-03-16, 06:36 PM
Y
Well Im assuming wood burning fireplace is out the of the question considering it was set up for wood stove. What I would like to do is put a ventless gas fireplace downstairs where the current wood burning stove is and somehow put a ventless gas fireplace upstairs built into the chimeny and cap off the chimney since it won't be used

Old 10-04-16, 04:34 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I know you have probably heard a lot of negative comments on using a ventless gas heater, but they are all justified. When they work they are fine, but a minor malfunction and they can flood your living space with CO (deadly carbon Monoxide). They even recommend running your exhaust fan with a gas range or gas oven. And, the often suggested addition of a CO detector to mitigate the risk doesn't solve the problem and typical CO detector technology isn't that good, good enough to bet your life on.

Bud

Old 10-04-16, 05:20 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ycart0
...somehow put a ventless gas fireplace upstairs built into the chimeny and cap off the chimney...
Just to be clear--are you wanting to carve out a recess in the existing kitchen masonry, destroying the flue from both the basement and kitchen?

Another thought--where does your furnace & HWH currently vent?

Old 10-04-16, 07:22 PM
Y
Heat is electric, also is water heater. I will be installing a propane tank for the fire place and gas cook top. My wife doesn't want a wood stove in kitchen. Also the pipe in chimney is cracked. To take chimney out means starting at the roof and dismantle. Sounds like a nightmare but she's ok changing it into a gas ventless fireplace if possible

Old 10-05-16, 02:54 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A vented gas fireplace or heater would use a metal liner inside the existing flue eliminating concerns about any cracks or fumes inside the home. Here is an article buy a PHD in the energy business who deals directly with indoor air quality.
A Ventless Gas Fireplace Doesn’t Belong in Your Home | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Bud

Old 10-08-16, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
>

That's right.

IF EVERY person who uses or operates an unvented stove READS, UNDERSTANDS and FOLLOWS ALL the warnings manufacturers include with their equipment, unvented equipment can be operated safely.

However, I've never found a single person who meets those requirements, so every piece of unvented equipment is a hazard waiting to be dangerous, in my opinion and experience as a former gas utility repairman/first responder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: