Refurbish of concrete fireplace

Old 10-18-16, 11:43 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refurbish of concrete fireplace

We need to refurbish an old concrete fireplace and need advice on best course.

This is a 55-plus-year-old house and fireplace, wood burning. The pic looks like it's stone construction but, in fact, it's molded concrete blocks of varying colors, I guess, trying to imitate a slate look.

The overall plan is to refurbish the surround and then build a proper mantel and surrounding shelves.

The first idea is to clean/possibly etch the existing concrete, including the cement seams between the blocks, perhaps staining afterwards to refresh or change the colors. Is this possible? If so, what are the best chemicals and methods? Is this best done by professionals?

Second idea is to cement board it and put on a tile.

Third idea is to completely remove the block and rebuild.

I am grateful for opinions and ideas.

Name:  fireplace_surround.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  23.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-16, 12:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You could stain the 'stone' with a translucent or toner type exterior stain. You could either stain the entire thing, mortar and all or each individual stone. I don't believe etching is needed.

I'd tear the stone off if I were to tile .... and wood is also an option [must be tile next to the fire box]

Old 10-20-16, 06:05 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Personally, I think you have a lot to work with.
It guess it all depends on your skill level and how much work you want to take on or do.

It looks well built and solid enough on its own so your only limited to your imagination.

I'd use it as a foundation and give it a more updated, finished look.
A wood surrounding mantelpiece. The stone would go well with just about any style classic to contemporary.
Add color to the stone somehow. I know you can paint it but I wouldn't.
Either stain it all or just add some color to the individual stones....You could add earth tones in different shades to make it look more natural of just pick a contrasting color to set off the mantelpiece wood tone...A darker brown stone surrounded by an oak wood mantel for example...

Good luck with whatever you choose. Hope to see a pic or to when its done.

Last edited by Eddy G; 10-20-16 at 08:54 AM.