Propane to my gas fireplace - double check my setup and suggestions

Old 11-10-16, 01:21 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Propane to my gas fireplace - double check my setup and suggestions

Hey all. I just built a new house, and we are a bit "out of the way" in that natural gas doesn't run to us. We have electric heating/cooling/cooking, but our fireplace is run by propane. It's nearing winter, and I want to have the fireplace in case of a power outage.

I called the local propane company, and basically they want to install a 100 gallon tank, fill it, and charge me a $50 annual upkeep fee. $400-500 for the install. Over the past 6 years of home ownership, I've used the gas fireplace one time...likely using less than 2-3 gallons of fuel.

So, I don't want to drop $400-500, and I hate anything that charges me an annual fee. I want to do this myself, so double check my ideas for me!
Plan is to buy a 100 POUND (not gallon!) tank from Lowes, have it filled, and install that to the gas inlet port running CSST to the fireplace. The fireplace lists 100 pound tank size as the minimum acceptable. I have ordered a Horizontal Two Stage Propane Regulator with POL that drops the pressure to 11"WC (fireplace requires 11-13"). This should screw into the 100 pound tank easily.

Now, this is where my question pops in. I need to run line from the regulator off the tank, to the house. I need this to be semi-easy to disconnect, in case we are using 2-3 of these 100pound tanks a year (doubtful). Would something as easy as this work:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would that work? Dangerous? Is soft copper my only option otherwise? All of the location of the propane setup is per-code and at least 10 feet away from an ignition source.
Thanks all.

Old 11-10-16, 01:43 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
What are you using to pipe the gas from the tank to the house/fireplace? I doubt if the reference part can be outside.

Edit...A quick look on another forum claims that as long as they are not buried, outside use is OK. This was from certified inspectors. They must be properly secured. Each state or local community may have different codes.

Old 11-10-16, 01:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply.

The house uses CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) that was installed during the build. Basically there is a gauge and inlet to the CSST mounted outside of the house. The propane tank will be installed just inches from the inlet, which is CSST running to the fireplace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: