Propane fire place on flat wall?

Old 12-24-16, 05:53 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Propane fire place on flat wall?

I hate the look of an electric fireplace so can I install gas logs on a flat wall?
It would have to be ventless correct?
I would use a standard firebox and then build a cabinet around it?

If I can do this, are there any videos available? I searched YouTube but didn't find anything.

Thanks
Wade

Old 12-25-16, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It's difficult to follow what you want to do. You will need a firebox and, yes, you can build a cabinet around it. I would buy a firebox rated properly to hold your gas logs. Ventless may not be approved for every area of the country, so check with your gas supplier first.

I built this for a client a while back, but the profile is about 24" away from the wall.

Name:  DSCF0203.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  25.2 KB

Old 12-25-16, 04:57 AM
W
Most fire boxes I have seen week built in the corner of a room with a cavity behind it. There isn't a corner wall so I would need to build something on a flat wall. To do this the cabinet will stick out a good bit .

How big of a cavity behind the firebox would be needed?

Ventless FP 's are allowed here in South Carolina. Since this would be on the first floor I'm guessing the ventless would be my only option?

Concerns are of course fumes and then structural design to safely accommodate a fire box and logs.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Thanks for the reply Chandler!

Old 12-25-16, 05:00 AM
W
Chandler,
Your pic did not download before I replied. That is exactly what I am wanting!!! There are still a couple of questions in my last post I would like some clarification on.

Old 12-25-16, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You have to maintain a 2" clearance to combustibles, both on the outside and inside. There are stand offs that help keep that clearance. Don't remove them from the firebox. On this one, as well as others, I employ concrete backer underlayment and steel studs around the firebox, completing the framing with wooden studs and the final covering.

The only other thing to keep in mind is the protrusion of the mantel. There is a triangulation chart that tells you how much protrusion it can have for height from the opening of the firebox. Here it is.

Name:  mantle_fireplace_min_clearance.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  28.6 KB

Old 12-25-16, 05:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You are approaching it from the stick built side by installing a fire box and then gas logs. Why not just buy a wall mount gas stove? They come as one complete package and are designed to be shallow so it won't stick out nearly as far as a traditional fire box.

Old 12-25-16, 08:33 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Remember, with ventless you'll have to open up some windows when the fireplace is on, to prevent CO buildup

Old 12-25-16, 03:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
While CO production is never zero is is very darn close in a properly working appliance and is why vent free appliances are so widely approved. A more valid concern may be the water vapor which can be a blessing or a curse. If your home is not well sealed the humidity can help counter winter dryness but in a very well sealed home it can cause condensation problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: