wood burning stove chimney

Old 01-03-17, 11:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wood burning stove chimney

Hello,
I have been in the process of installing my own chimney and wood burning stove. Lets just say I have learned alot. I have run into a major hiccup and seeking advice. First off I would like to say I tried to get this installed by a contractor and could not even get someone to do it where I live. I have the ceiling support box installed and the roof sealed up currently. After sealing in the roof flashing I could not figure out why I could not get my chimney straight. I eventually realized the flashing is for a minimally sloped roof and I have a 12/12 pitch roof. I plan to get the right flashing after the winter but I am looking for ways to get my chimney straight and functional before then. Any suggestions on how to modify the flashing so I can get the chimney straight? I am going to end up having a pretty tall exterior chimney due to my roof slope and the location I placed the fireplace inside. Obviously the ten degrees or so my chimney is currently off will put it way out at twelve feet tall. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 01-04-17, 03:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Sadly the only way to do it is the right way and buy the right flashing. An ill angled flashing will eventually cause leaks, and it will always look bad.

Old 01-04-17, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Unfortunately I agree. The proper flashing is the way to go. When the chimney goes through a surface perpendicular it requires a round hole. When it goes through an angled roof it needs an ellipse/oval shaped hole. Flashing and ellipse is a major pain so the proper flashing takes most of the angle out so the chimney goes through a round hole. Many flashings also come with or use another flashing ring (round) that you slide over the chimney to further protect the joint and keep water out.

With a shallow pitched roof you might get away with bending your current flashing or trimming it to let the chimney pass through then use a flashing ring to help protect the slight oval. Unfortunately with a 12/12 pitch the oval shape the chimney makes through the flashing is going to be pretty long and I don't think a flashing ring will cover it and certainly not cover it to keep out blowing rain.

Also, with a 12/12 pitch I assume you're going to have a lot of chimney protruding above the roof. If you are in a windy location or a place that gets a lot of snow you may need additional bracing above the roof to prevent the chimney from being pushed over.

Old 01-04-17, 06:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Another thing to consider is your homeowner's insurance. Some won't cover a wood stove while most [like mine] have a surcharge added to the policy.

Old 01-04-17, 07:23 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Just went through an inspection with my insurance co and to avoid any issues I had removed my stove. Not enough, as they still needed to inspect where it had been located and needed to know who installed it, when the chimney was last cleaned, and when inspected and by whom. THEY DON'T LIKE WOOD STOVES. I argued it was all moot since it was gone but they needed all of that info for the file.

My advice would be to certainly do it right and get it inspected by some local authority.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: