Question about running electrical/tv wiring next to gas fireplace

Old 02-14-17, 03:36 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about running electrical/tv wiring next to gas fireplace

Hi,

I recently started overhauling my living room with new floors and soon a new brick surround and mantle for the fireplace (gas, non would burning). The brick will most likely go from the floor to the ceiling. I am interested in installing an electrical outlet and a media outlet on the wall above the fireplace mantle for the tv. (I have already had the tv hung above the fireplace for years but had a plastic channel for the hdmi, power, etc).

My question is regarding how close I can run wires next to the fireplace insert. I am looking at tapping into an electrical outlet about 5 feet to the right of the fireplace to gain the power to my new outlet I want to install above the mantle. As of right now I ripped out the drywall around the fireplace so that I can install cement board for the new stone veneer. Since the dry wall is opened up, about 20" all around the fireplace, I see that there is quite a bit of open space. Would this be an acceptable place to run wiring for the tv and a new electrical wire? Is there code regarding how close I can run the wiring next to the fireplace. The fireplace is a gas, non wood burning fireplace insert. I was thinking of having two runs that would starting from the right of the fireplace by the existing outlet, going down into the basement then running back toward the gap next to the fireplace and then running straight up the wall. One run would be the romex and the other would be tv wires, HDMI, coax, etc and run inside a fire retardent smurf tubing.

I am looking at diving into the basement to avoid destroying drywall and insulation to the right of my project area. I have to remove essentially all of the drywall all around the fireplace and going up to the ceiling so I can install the cement board so it seems easy enough to go down then up from the basement into the gap next to the insert. I appreciate and concerns or suggestions (except suggesting putting the tv in a different location )

I have inserted a drawing that kind of shows what I want to do.

Thanks,

Ben

Name:  drawing.jpg
Views: 5943
Size:  14.0 KB

Old 02-14-17, 03:52 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Typical gas insert requires 6" clearance to combustibles on the sides, but best would be to check the specs of the insert you plan to use. I would use MC (metal clad) cable instead of romex if you will be anywhere close to that, just for added protection, although it probably isn't a requirement. I would run the lines up as high as you can before turning to run horizontally, just to keep them as far from the heat source as possible.

If you have the sheetrock removed next to the fire place, why not just drill horizontally through the couple of studs to get where you need to, rather than down and up (although there's nothing wrong with doing that)

Old 02-14-17, 04:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Carbide,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the suggestions. The only reason I planned to drill into the basement is because the fireplace insert is installed already and there isn't a ton of clearance to maneuver a drill around to go through the studs and run horizontally. It just seemed easier to drill up from the basement since the basement is unfinished and this would allow me to not destroy and rework any more drywall than I had to. I'm not that amazing at taping and mudding so I'm trying to avoid it. I plan on running the new cable straight up away from the fireplace insert and then turning around the height of the TV like you suggested. I appreciate your advice!

Thanks,

Ben

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: