Gas Fireplace - Poor Installation?

Reply

  #1  
Old 03-21-17, 06:03 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Fireplace - Poor Installation?

Hi Folks,

Today I removed the cover from my gas fireplace and found this:
Fireplace - Album on Imgur

When I moved into the house there was a leak in the chimney chase cover so I was expecting to see a bit of rust. I definitely was not expecting to see a pile of ash sitting on top of my fireplace.

It would appear that whoever installed the fireplace did not take the time to seal the intake or exhaust joints - fortunately I have only used this fireplace once (for about half an hour just to check that it worked) since I bought this house about 18 months ago.

Is using some high temperature caulking to seal the joints going to be enough to allow me to safely use this fireplace? Alternatively I am considering ripping the whole insert out and just installing an electric one.

Any insights that you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
 
  #2  
Old 03-21-17, 07:39 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 61,392
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That is one load of rust..... or is that old soot from the chimney ?
Beyond sealing the connections.... what does it have for a roof cap ?

With that much rust I'd have to recommend the services of a chimney cleaner or sweep.
 
  #3  
Old 03-21-17, 07:56 PM
B
Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 10,524
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
A properly burning gas fireplace should never produce anything like that. I'd agree with PJ it is probably from the chimney from prior use. I'd add the need to have a fire inspector take a look to be sure the installation meets their requirements. Probably someone at your local fire department can do that.

Bud
 
  #4  
Old 03-21-17, 08:27 PM
D
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks, thank you for responding.

That was a load of ash/soot. I was thinking about it and I wonder if it was dislodged when I installed the new chase cover/rain caps/B vent a few months ago.

Here is a photo of the top of the chimney:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I am also going to look into getting the chimney swept.

Thanks again!
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: