How support insert whilst removing stove

Old 08-20-17, 05:40 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How support insert whilst removing stove

My stove is connected to an insert inside an existing masonry chimney (external).
I need to disconnect the insert and remove the stove so I can put in a block off plate inside the chimney to prevent draft.
Is there anyway to support the insert as I do this to prevent it falling down the chimney? Chimney is maybe 40ft height 3 storeys plus the extra beyond rooftop.

Do I have to lift the insert a bit from the roof top to do this or is it supposed to be supported from the top anyway?

Old 08-20-17, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Do I have to lift the insert a bit from the roof top to do this or is it supposed to be supported from the top anyway?
You may have to lift from the roof to disconnect it and YES.... it must be supported from the top.

How are you going to install a plate with the exhaust pipe passing thru it ? Usually the top of the flue has the seal plate for the exhaust pipe.

Old 08-20-17, 01:52 PM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Like this: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

Sheet metal and roxul (fireproof) or concrete board.
Shape cut out for insert.

Won't it be difficult to lift a 40ft liner from the chimney top?
Is there no way to undo it at the stove end and just pull the stove out leaving it dangling there?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: