Gas fireplace - flame and pilot going out

Reply

  #1  
Old 09-28-17, 11:22 AM
|
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas fireplace - flame and pilot going out

Hello everyone,
Hope someone can help me here.

I recently moved into a house in the last few weeks. It has a directvent gas fireplace that is about 7 years old. During inspection the fireplace was working fine. I was there the whole time it was working. Since then, due to the fireplace being so high up on the wall, I decided to lower it in the same spot. Same hookups, everything.

Now when I light the pilot, it is a nice blue flame, which is good. But when I turn the switch on at the wall, sometimes the flame will go on, and sometimes the pilot just goes out.

When the flame is on, the tip of the flame is yellow, and the base is blue, the "embers" at the bottom are blue. It will run for about 1-2 minutes, and then the flame and pilot just go out. I can hear a "Click" or "Thunk" from the gas valve I imagine. Not sure though.

Sometimes when I turn on the switch, nothing will happen. I even tried what the manual stated and jumping the switch, and bypassing the switch all together by jumping it at the fireplace.

At first I thought it was the fresh air venting, but I verified there are no blockages whatsoever, and I actually replaced that duct from the fireplace to the exterior wall. So I know its not dirty.

Any thoughts and help would be great.

Thank you!
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-28-17, 01:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 24,015
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Is your system powered by battery or mains electricity or is it a millivolt system powered by the thermopile in the pilot flame? If it's a milivolt system check all wiring connections and make sure they are absolutely perfect. The voltage and current is so low that the slightest bit of corrosion or a bad connection can make them work intermittently.
 
  #3  
Old 09-28-17, 01:58 PM
|
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is a millivolt system powered by the thermopile. I took voltages and they fluctuated a bit. But hovered between 35-41 millivolts.

Edit: Was testing with the pilot off. I will test it with the pilot on when I get back home.
 
  #4  
Old 09-28-17, 07:15 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 59,794
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A make and model would be helpful for specific details.

You may have a thermocouple and thermopile (pilot generator)
The flame needs to be big and bushy. Those fireplaces use what appears to be a larger than expected pilot flame. The thermopile (and t.coupler) need to be engulfed directly in the flame for maximum voltage output. You should measure +/- 500mv-dc when the pilot is lit. It should drop to maybe 400mv-dc when the main burner lights. These values are in the service manual.
 
  #5  
Old 09-29-17, 11:34 AM
|
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi PJMax,
The Model is a Marco CCT36.

I have verified that the pilot is directly on the top 1/4 of the Thermopile. I cleaned the thermopile and still had the same issue. Also, when I flip the switch, the millivolts go to 0.

I do have a service tech coming out today to look at it, as I need this fixed so I can complete our remodel(Lowering the fireplace)

Also, on a side note, this particular model has a recall from 1998 on it. The company was bought out by Lennox. Do I have any recourse? Should I just buy a new fireplace?

Thanks!
 
  #6  
Old 09-30-17, 01:40 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 59,794
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
If you were only getting 40 mv DC with the pilot lit..... it's bad.
 
  #7  
Old 09-30-17, 09:34 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 59,794
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Lennox bought Marco a while back. I don't know if Lennox is still honoring the recall on your Marco unit. You'd need to check with Lennox directly. I would think that the recall campaign is no longer active but the issue with your fireplace still needs to be addressed.
 
  #8  
Old 10-02-17, 03:19 PM
|
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJ,
Thank you for the help. It was determined that the gas valve is most likely closing on itself and needs to be replaced.

Due to the recall and gas valve replacement(Which I would have replaced). I decided to just rip this one out and put in a flush mount electric fireplace. I didn't want to risk my family and their safety with that fireplace.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: