Natural gas fireplace regulator leak and replacement

Old 10-23-17, 03:06 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Natural gas fireplace regulator leak and replacement

Hello,

Hoping that someone here can assist. I noticed that my natural gas fireplace had an extra flame in the back when it was on even after i turned the fire all the way down. I knew there was a leak, so I cleaned up the fireplace and did a test on the regulator and seems it is indeed leaking. I have no clue about natural gas fireplaces, so I have been reading online all day. Was deciding whether or not I needed to purchase a whole new set. Noticed that most sets do not mention a need for a regulator, so I am a bit confused. I have a regulator, but is it necessary? How do I know what setting it is on? Can i replace it?

Hoping that someone can assist me, as I am looking to do this myself due to lack of reliable and affordable pros in my area. Thanks!

Here are some photos:

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-17, 04:57 PM
C
Just resealed the pipes and ran another leak test and noticed that gas is exiting from little pin sided hole where I placed arrow in photo. I have read that its actually meant to release gas as needed to avoid too much pressure on diaphragm, but when should this actually be happening? Is it expected?

Old 10-23-17, 05:14 PM
C
A triple check actually shows that gas is leaking from sides (not where pipes are) as well. Sigh...

Old 10-23-17, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That does not look like a factory supplied regulator and it also doesn't appear to be in a correct location. It looks like it's right near the burner where direct heat and possibly the flames can hit it. It has a rubber diaphragm in it and it is not supposed to be subject to direct heat as it will melt.

Most firelog setups don't use an external regulator for natural gas. There may be one there because your house gas pressure may have been raised for a reason.

Any model numbers on the burner system or the gas valve ?

Old 10-23-17, 06:22 PM
C
Thanks for your response, Pete!

Unfortunately, the labels appear to be completely melted. About all I can read is Golden Blount Gas Logs...

What you said makes perfect sense. Once read online about regulators, I was confused as to why it was so close to flame. This is why I was seeing the "extra" flame due to gas leaking.