Fire pit pilot light problem

Old 10-31-17, 01:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fire pit pilot light problem

Hello All,

have a Honeywell smart valve system (9601M4167) in our community fire pit that's giving me fits. The fire pit wouldn't light after being exposed to the elements for several months and although the HSI would glow, there was no gas oder. The pilot housing was badly corroded so I replaced it and installed a new .018 gas orifice. I now have gas but still no ignition/flame. I then replaced the HSI, still no ignition. I have verified 26VAC to the smart valve which drops to around 20VAC under HSI load. Voltage to the HSI is 19.5VAC which is at the bottom of acceptable according to the troubleshooting flow chart. I have noted that the pilot light flame when manually lit is somewhat longer/stronger than what it's supposed to be, perhaps about a 1/2" longer than what's called for. Adjusting the pilot light while installed is next to impossible so I'd have to adjust/install/check and repeat as needed to get it right.

Is it possible the combination of nominal voltage to the HSI and slightly higher gas pressure is preventing ignition? Or am I fighting against a step down transformer that's at the ragged edge of bad? Also, it takes about 10 seconds for the HSI to receive 19.5VAC as it builds up from 0. The smart system shuts it down after 30 second so is this lag to 19.5VAC part of the problem as well?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Old 10-31-17, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
That's an SV9601M4167 valve.

I'm a little concerned..... is this all out in the weather ?
The smart valve can't be exposed to the elements.
Any pictures of your setup ? How-to-insert-pictures

Good troubleshooting manual.....
honeywell_links/combustion/universal_smart_valve/install/69_1270.pdf

Most pits I've seen/worked on just had a manual gas valve and the flame was lit with a match.

Old 11-06-17, 07:17 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey Pete,

the fire pit was built by the original developer of the community. That was done a few years before I bought into the community. The smart valve is located directly under the pan in an aluminum enclosure. The entire pit is a stone enclosed structure. The smart valve enclosure is sealed with silicone around the access plate, pipes and wires. The circuit board on the smart switch shows no signs of corrosion which I took as a good sign as to the level of protection being afford the smart valve. I suspect the use of the smart switch and remote system was part of the selling appeal for prospective buyers to the condo association. Not the way I would have gone but it's what we've got.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: