More than just Pilot light burning

Old 11-11-17, 08:08 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
More than just Pilot light burning

I got a gas fireplace that I just started for the winter. I had the pilot on for the year. I switched it on and got flame and ran it for close to an hour, then when I switched it off, I noticed that a larger flame at the pilot light was still burning. Usually you got that small blue flame for the standing pilot, but it was burning a little larger blue and orange flame around the pilot. Didn't think this was normal, so I shut off the gas valve for the time being to shut it off. Any idea why it's burning a larger flame around the pilot even though I turned the fireplace off?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-17, 08:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
I sometimes see a lingering flame after turning my gas logs off as well. It usually goes out in a couple seconds. Did your flame continue for some time?

Old 11-11-17, 02:19 PM
N
Yeah, 15-20 minutes is longest I let it go and it's still a larger than usual flame. I was hoping it would dissipate. But when I shut off the pilot and relight it, it's a small blue flame again. A google search shows it may be some residue, dust, or ashes (though it's not a wood log fire place, it's gas), that's on the pilot.

Old 11-11-17, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The pilot light flame on those gas fireplaces is pretty large. Mine is like a miniature blowtorch.

If the problem happens again you may need to have the gas valve checked.

Old 11-12-17, 05:32 AM
N
Mine is pretty large too under normal circumstances, but after this last use, it's really noticeably larger, including an orange flame when it should be primarily blue. I shut it off by turning the gas valve off instead of at the wall switch, but wonder if I will wear out the gas valve that way as I always have to relight the pilot with shutting off the gas valve. I agree it may have to be serviced, or at least cleaned at the pilot assembly from what I researched online. Thanks.