Pellet Stove installation with chimney

Old 12-09-17, 01:14 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pellet Stove installation with chimney

Hey folks... my friends have a very old house with a center chimney that goes all the way from the ground, under the house, up through the house, attic and finally to the top of a very steep roof that no one wants to climb... NOBODY! Especially me.

They/we are replacing an oil furnace, the kind that stood up in the living room and vented into that chimney with a pellet stove. The existing hole from the old oil burning stove is quite high, nearly 6 feet of the floor. There is also a hole in the other side of the chimney in the kitchen, which we can only imagine provided exhaust for a wood stove at one time.

SOOO, finally, to the point. As I said, the chimney goes all the way to the ground, under the house with a nice door down there for clean out purposes.

IFFF the chimney is in good repair... we'll assume it is. It does appear to be. AND any ash produced by the pellet stove will fall, nicely down to the cleanout. AND we can successfully exhaust into the chimney without backwash... a good seal on BOTH holes (living room and kitchen).... IS THERE any reason why we can't just vent it right into the chimney WITHOUT a chimney liner?????

ALSO.. this is a VERY DRAFTY old house, definitely way before any level of green build... is it necessary to provide intake from outside?

THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 12-09-17, 01:29 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have done my due diligence and researched by the way. It seems we have three concerns, back draft, fully venting, and ASH. Ash being noted as an issues especially with partially piping... I think this issue will be handled by a fully open chimney flue that runs all the way down to the clean out. Leaving the back draft and full venting by venting directly into the chimney with no liner and sealing it off completely... backup with a fine set of co2 detectors for peace of mind. Will it work????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: