Frame around masonry fireplace for stone veneer... support?

Old 12-12-17, 12:55 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frame around masonry fireplace for stone veneer... support?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong section (maybe it should be in interior walls or something) but it had to do with the hearth of a fireplace and support so I figured I'd throw it in here.

I have a masonry fireplace (other thread related) that is anything but symmetrical, that I need to frame so I can add a stacked stone veneer to the front (from floor to ceiling). I'll add pics below. I'm trying to figure out exactly where to place the frame supports, and what type of studs to use to hold up 600ish pounds of stone, and still have it all flush with the front of the fireplace. I'd like to use metal studs for obvious reasons and place them on each side of the fireplace so that I can put sheets of Durock flush with the front of the fireplace like a sheath (and then veneer the stone onto that). My issue is this: the edges of the concrete fireplace hearth meet the subfloor with a gap, and I'm either going to have to anchor metal studs to the concrete pad or the subfloor adjacent to it. I'd rather do the former for aesthetics.

I'm wondering a couple things... A: If I anchor the studs to the concrete hearth pad, would the weight of the stacked stone damage it once it's built? There's a basement below. And what would I use to correctly anchor a metal stud to a concrete slab? B: Are metal studs even capable of holding that much weight? They seem flimsy as hell and I have no experience working with them.

Ideally I'd like to build an H shaped frame on the front face with a metal stud horizontal across (where the brick recesses a little at around 5' high.. you can see a roll of tape sitting on it), and two verticle metal studs along side the front corners of the brick face. Then frame it all in with Durock and have a nice flat surface to scratch coat for the stone (no gap between brick front and Durock). Also that way there would be nothing at all combustible in the actual "box" the fireplace and chimney resides in. This is provided that the metal studs can support a stone veneer wall of course.. and that I can anchor metal studs to the concrete poured under the fireplace without issue. I'd like to have the sides of the stone veneer flush with the edges of the concrete pad (see pics). Some of the pad is covered with that black tile but you can still see the edge in the pics. Feel free to ask any questions if this explanation has been as confusing as it sounds while I'm typing it lol... Thanks guys.

edit: I should mention that it's on an exterior wall with a ash pit and cinder block wall below the firebox itself, but the concrete pad sticks out about 16-20" from that.

Attached Images    
Old 12-12-17, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Can't really answer your questions... without being there to see and think through the details, but yeah I would probably use a combination of steel and wood. Kind of like one i did a while back. It was getting a granite slab wrap, if I recall.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GEVHaF6KHrJrFmwa2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g5W23wusgxBKDaHp2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/idmTmSdWGVH2q4cX2

Old 12-13-17, 12:58 AM
B
Right on... any pics of when it's complete? Is it ok to have the lip around the inner edge like that on a masonry fireplace? (around the opening).. What do you fill it with once the stone goes on?

Also, any clue how to attach the metal studs to concrete at the floor? Didn't know if I should just bend and anchor or if there's some type of bracket made for it...

Thinking now about framing the front out a bit like that with the metal studs to add a little more depth.. It'll make it easier building the built-ins around it deep enough to actually use for real things. It's only 9" as-is.

Thanks man! Every little idea helps.

Brian

Old 12-13-17, 01:03 AM
B
Oh and hey.. pardon the dumb-ass-ness but what exactly is this screw screwed into? Or are the metal studs doubled up to have faces on both sides?

edit: nevermind.. that's just the bent part of the vertical stud isnt it

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-17, 02:52 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, and the horizontal one is doubled up with a face on both sides.

You could use a tapcon screw or shoot it down with a powder actuated washer nail.

Old 12-13-17, 11:27 AM
B
Right on... any pics of when it's complete? Is it ok to have the lip around the inner edge like that on a masonry fireplace? (around the opening).. What do you fill it with once the stone goes on?

Also, any clue how to attach the metal studs to concrete at the floor? Didn't know if I should just bend and anchor or if there's some type of bracket made for it...

Thinking now about framing the front out a bit like that with the metal studs to add a little more depth.. It'll make it easier building the built-ins around it deep enough to actually use for real things. It's only 9" as-is.

Thanks man! Every little idea helps.

Brian

Old 12-19-17, 09:10 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
If you are unaware, code dictates how close combustible materials can be from the fireplace and chimney. I believe it is 2" from the front face and sides, and 4" from the rear face. Metal studs and cement board aren't considered combustible, but if you are using any wood lumber or sheathing, you'll want to keep this in mind.

Old 04-14-18, 01:17 PM
B
It's coming along slowly but surely (I had a bunch of other things come up). Ended up using all 18g steel studs to make a boxed out frame, attached cement board, and thinset'd the veneer stone on. Really sturdy and no issues so far with load bearing. Just gotta finish the top/bottom where the hearth and trim will go. Just wanted to give an update! Thanks for the help guys. Don't mind the pink string... it's all level and plumb (though the pics make it look off..), and all up to code! I think it's gonna look pretty good! Now just gotta build built-ins around the thing. Dreading it.

Attached Images     
Old 04-14-18, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
Nice work! Thanks for the pics and the update!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: