My Regency gas heater sometimes won't start or shut off at the set temp

Old 01-09-18, 11:51 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Regency gas heater sometimes won't start or shut off at the set temp

I have a Regency LPG fireplace that has sporadic issues where it won't shut off or re-start when the room temperature is where the remote is set. i.e. if I set it at 70 degrees and come home the pilot light is lit but the room can be 40 degrees and if I push a button on the remote it will come right back on. It will also do the opposite sometimes but not as often where it will keep heating well above the set temp and not shut off until I hit a button on the thermostat. Appreciate any help and advise.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-18, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Usually if there is a startup problem it's the heaters fault but you're saying sometimes it won't shut off. That makes it sound more like a thermostat issue. Now... there are other rarer problems like sticking gas valves.

Is this a wireless handheld remote thermostat your are talking about ?
It would have the big round button on the front and you can set temperature on it ?

If yes....... try changing the batteries in the receiver. It's a small square black box. The battery tray pushes in to unlock. It should take 4 AA batteries. If this is not what you have then you'll need to leave me model numbers or pictures as there are too many variables. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-10-18, 09:44 AM
D
I replaced the batteries to the receiver. Didn't even realize there were batteries to it. Unfortunately it still does the same thing sometimes. Model #U39-LP10

Thanks

Old 01-10-18, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Those remote systems usually work great but sometimes get bugs in them.

Do you have another way of turning on the fireplace.... like a switch on it ?
If you do..... does that always turn the burner on ?

There is a manual switch on the front of the receiver. That should be a 3 position switch.... off-remote-on. Allow the remote control to operate the fireplace. If the burner doesn't fire when it should... try sliding the switch to on. If it lights.... the problem is in the remote system. If the burner won't turn off.... try sliding the switch to off.

It is not a 100% reliable system. I have a few customers that have had the same issue. Fortunately they have the universal remote system and I was able to swap the receiver easily. Yours looks like a dedicated one for that series of fireplaces.

The Regency 910-572 receiver module is fairly expensive so it's not routinely replaced. If you rely on that fireplace for mandatory heating.... you can add a basic wall thermostat and set at maybe 60f to start the fireplace in case of remote problems.

Old 01-15-18, 08:48 AM
D
I finally got the fireplace to not light again and I manually switched it on and it came on. Wen't back to remote and it shut off until I pushed a button on the remote. I think I will try a new remote first and see what happens.

Thanks for the help