Plastic/Chemical Smell from Gas Fireplace After Solenoid Replacement

Reply

  #1  
Old 03-10-18, 10:43 AM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plastic/Chemical Smell from Gas Fireplace After Solenoid Replacement

Just had one of the solenoids in our direct vent, propane fireplace replaced (not the main solenoid, but one that allows control of "side" flames for larger or smaller fire as desired.) Have used the fireplace every winter for 10 years without any problem with odor, and used it that very morning before the replacement was made. It was cleaned and serviced a month ago. The technician told us the solenoid he wanted to replace was not necessary for operation, but would allow us to use less propane by shutting off the side flames, which were stuck in the open position.
So, since the solenoid replacement, a strong chemical, aerosol smell (like melted plastic) has been emanating from the fireplace after about 45 minutes of operation. Much stronger with the fan on, but still noticeable even with the fan off. The technician came back and checked wires etc. for safety issues - found none. Said this could be either oils on the part burning off, or the sealant used on a gasket, which might need to cure. It's been a week and we've burned the fireplace for 3-5 hours per day. This involves opening a lot of windows/doors to flush the smell out of the house, so it's hard to do a longer burn with outside temps in the 20's and 30's - the house gets quite chilly.
Still getting the chemical/plastic smell. The longer the fireplace is on, the stronger the smell gets. Could this still be oils burning off, or sealant curing? Any thoughts on what else could cause this smell. (FYI - The smell is definitely not propane.)
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-10-18, 10:52 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 59,855
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not sure exactly what part he changed but it sounds like that is what is burning. Any oils on the part would be burned off quickly. Silicone is cured in 24 hours.

What was silicone required for ?
 
  #3  
Old 03-10-18, 12:12 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The technician replaced the manifold assembly with solenoid. As I understand it, the sealant was required to seal the new gasket to the propane line. I have no idea what type of sealant was used, silicone or otherwise. The solenoid is still working fine, hasn't burnt out. There's no smoke, just a fume-y, slightly burnt smell.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: