Pacific Energy propane fireplace hard start

Old 05-19-18, 10:39 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pacific Energy propane fireplace hard start

Model : Classic Gas / Super Gas 27

I’ll upload pics later. Weak signal where I am.

Have a propane gas heating stove.

Pilot lights and stats on. However main burner sometimes take 5-10 minutes to light it doesn’t light at all. Then pilot goes out.

Have scrubbed and cleaned the thermocouple and rheorhermopile. Cleaned the pilot head with wire brush. No real improvement.

I know the thermopile could be bad. However the pilot flame also seems rather small and doesn’t engulf the pile and the couple. I’ll upload pics of the flame in a few days.

How do go about diagnosing the pile or the pilot flame itself? Is there a pilot flame adjustment ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-18, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
Cleaning the thermocouple and thermopile are not needed.

You have a weak pilot issue. Adjusting the gas to the pilot is usually done at setup and shouldn't change. You more than likely have a restricted pilot orifice.

You could also have a problem with a propane regulator somewhere in the system.
Are there any other propane appliances ? How are they ?

Old 05-19-18, 04:31 PM
Z
No other propane appliances. The main burner finally lit on its own. It’s been running fine for a few hours now. Still an orifice issue? Are they replaceable or is it part of the entire pilot assembly?

Old 05-19-18, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
The orifice is the tiny hole at the base of the pilot flame where the gas comes out.
You can clean it with a pin, small drill bit or even a bristle from a wire brush.

Old 05-22-18, 04:23 AM
S
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I would have the unit serviced by an HVAC service company familiar with propane gas appliances. They could check the output voltage of the powerpile or pilot generator and the incoming gas pressure. With a powerpile pilot system, all connections should be inspected and cleaned, and any replacement parts installed should be for powerpile systems only. Replacement parts for standard furnaces are not to be used on powerpile systems.

Old 05-22-18, 05:11 AM
Z
Here are the photos. You’ll see the pilot flame is quite small.

I’ve found a manual online that says the pilot hood pulls off, then you can access the orifice.

Mine seems to have a retaining clip. Does that come off before you can pull the pilot hood off? Or should the hood simply lift off?

Secondly, I noticed that when the main burner kicked on, it didn’t seem to have flames throughout, as seen in the photo. Does it just need a good cleaning? Vacuum ? Can you poke wire through each of the main burner outlets?

Thanks for all the advice!

Attached Images      
Old 05-22-18, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
That looks like a low pressure issue.
I'd recommend having the incoming and the gas manifold pressures checked.

Old 05-22-18, 08:29 AM
Z
Thanks pj. No longer a pilot orifice issue? The stove seems ok once it finally lights. Puts out slot of heat. In terms of manifold pressure, is that an appliance issue or a supply issue?

Old 05-28-18, 09:31 AM
Z
Anyone know how to remove the pilot hood. I pulled off the retaining clip but nothing is budging.

Old 05-28-18, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
What is the exact model name/number. Based on what you posted I find a wood burning stove.
It may not be cleanable. It may need replacement.

Did you have the gas pressures checked ?
A clogged orifice can explain a small pilot flame but not a weak burner.

Old 05-28-18, 11:19 AM
Z
It says “classic gas/super 27gas”.

Propane conversion kit “LPKT.32KA”

Old 05-28-18, 11:35 AM
Z
Here’s a photo of the back label.

Attached Images  
Old 06-03-18, 04:31 AM
Z
I found a manual online. It says to pull the pilot hood straight up and off. Mine doesn’t budge, even after removing the spring clip.

Old 06-05-18, 03:29 AM
S
What fuel,are you using for this heater, propane or natural gas? I ask because the main and pilot flames look to be very weak and small. If you purchased this unit used, I would check all the parts and orfice sizes to make sure that changes to the type of fuel use are as stated on the label and have not been changed. By the way, the voltage output for the thermopile is usually around 700-800 millivolts DC. A good explanation of the units history would be helpful. The pictures of the flame looks to me like natural gas using a propane orfice.

Old 06-05-18, 04:44 AM
Z
Thanks. It’s running propane and worked fine for the first 2 years we’ve lived in the house. According to the label on the back, it was converted from ng to LP in 2010.

You mention orifices.......that’s where I’m at now. Trying to gain access to the pilot orifice. The main burner flame seems ok once it’s lit.

How to access the pilot orifice. The manual says to pull the pilot hood straight up, but it doesn’t seem to want to move.

Old 06-05-18, 08:17 AM
S
You could call the factory to see if they will discuss with you how to disassemble the pilot. Usually, after years of use some items need a little force to remove or disassemble them. accodding to the installation at service manual their phone # is 250-748-1184

Old 06-07-18, 07:13 AM
Z
Is changing the entire pilot assembly a diy job? I noticed there is some type of sealant where the thermocouple wire, ignitor wire etc. pass through the firebox to the area below where the controls are....what is that sealant?