Dual Gas/Wood Burning Fireplace?

Old 09-03-18, 06:50 AM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Dual Gas/Wood Burning Fireplace?

Hi All,

We are in the process of preparing to renovate our downstairs, which includes remodeling an existing wood-burning fire place. We only ever use the fireplace for aesthetics (e.g., a nice fire for a few hours on snowy winters, etc.), and we don't use it for heat at all.

When redoing the fireplace, I'm wondering if there is some sort of way we can convert it to a fire place that can burn both natural gas and wood (although not at the same time). Maybe some sort of insert that does both?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 09-03-18, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I know of no insert that does both.
If you are looking for something for efficient and reliable heat...... install a natural gas sealed insert.

Old 09-05-18, 04:11 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Years ago I built my own natural gas and real wood combination fire place set for my masonry fireplace. I put in logs, turned on the gas burner, the logs lit and the gas went off upon a set temperature. It worked great for me. I was in the heat and A/C field back then. Today, I would be hesitant to re-do it that way, however you could search for a company called "Kombifire.com". They make devices similar to what you want . Be warned, they are not cheap. Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-18, 01:15 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Converting from a traditional open style fireplace to a glass front sealed combustion wood unit would be a major change, and one I think you would enjoy.

Open front fireplaces have many drawbacks and are sometimes not appreciated by insurance companies. By switching to a sealed combustion unit the traditional enjoyment is there viewed through the glass front. And the burn time is increases making the wood handling less.

Similar inserts are available in 100% gas.

Alternating wood and gas in one unit I picture a mess of ashes that would interfere with the gas function, but I have never seen one.

From a technical perspective the size of the flue for wood is much larger than for gas and can result in the gas exhaust condensing in the flue.

Bud

Old 09-06-18, 11:31 AM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Hi All,

Ok, thanks for the advice. We generally just use those 3 hour Duraflame logs, so guess we'll probably just stick with that.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: