New wood stove install

Old 09-11-18, 10:12 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New wood stove install

I am installing a new wood stove in a new construction house with composite shingles already on and the inside of the ceiling is unfinished and open.

The wood stove has a 6” opening and I would like to increase the pipe diameter to 8” triple wall stove pipe that I already have.

Are there any problems with this? Is it ok to increase from 6” single wall to 8” triple wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-18, 01:15 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Increasing the diameter will slow the exhaust flow and increase the potential for condensation. However, there are other factors involved, your climate, height of chimney, height exposed to the cold, and probably more. IMO, if the mfg recommends 6", that is what you should use.

Modern wood stoves are often sealed combustion or very slow burning so the exhaust flow is minimal. Although a triple wall is a plus, 6" to 8" is a 75% increase if cross section area and probably a 40% decrease in flow (I'll let someone else do the math).

A chimney full of cold air can complicate draft issues and from experience I can say, that's a problem you don't want.

Disclosure, I'm not a pro on this subject, just have burned wood for many years and currently using a Regency wood stove.

Bud