Flame too high gas fireplace

Old 09-18-18, 06:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flame too high gas fireplace

Bought a house with two identical gas fireplaces, one upstairs one down. The downstairs works fine, normal flame height, and can adjust height from high to low. The upstairs fireplace just has a very high blue flame and turning the knob does nothing to adjust the height of the flame. Any suggestions, is the knob broken or something else?

Old 09-19-18, 04:18 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Are both fireplaces fed from the same gas pipe? Each fireplace burner should have an air adjust device to balance the air/gas ratio.Do you have the burner manual?

Old 09-19-18, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like the gas valve may be defective.
A make and model of the fireplaces would be needed for specific help.

Old 09-24-18, 04:43 AM
S
Thanks for the reply’s,
the fireplace is “continental”
both fireplaces have their own gas line
both lines are open fully and appear to have adequate gas flow
i noticed the following, when I first start the fireplace I can adjust flame height with the knob, the flame looks normal for the first 5-7 minutes (same as basement), it than goes very high, more blue, and can no longer adjust. Hope this additional information helps!

Old 09-24-18, 05:07 AM
S
Should also mention that the house is new (1 year old) , not under Tarion, fireplace looks builder grade with single straight burner...

Old 09-24-18, 10:43 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Can you switch fireplaces or the gas lines? This will isolate the problem to fireplace or gas line. Is there a builder's warranty?

Old 09-24-18, 05:01 PM
S
Can’t do any swapping, at that point I would be better off calling someone in. Home has no warranty, that’s a long story, but basically a very reputable builder built the outside (frame/foundation and exterior) and the interior was finished by some idiot who cut corners for profit in this housing market ... don’t ask why I bought it (wife).....

Anyways, what I did do is open it and clean the glass, the upstairs one was covered in soot. I compared the upstairs and downstairs ones to try and see if there was any difference and the only thing I could see was the flue downstairs had a metal flap that was bent open a lot . So I bent the upstairs one same as downstairs.

This got rid of all the blue flame, but the flame still gets progressively larger the longer it is on and after 10min or so is stuck on high (large flames) that can’t be adjusted with the knob. At least now there is no blue flames...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: