Regency Insert

Old 11-22-18, 12:46 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Regency Insert

I have a Regency Large Fireplace Insert which I had it installed back in Oct-2000. I burn every winter about 6 cords of wood, have it cleaned every 2-3 years and have been very happy with it.

Last month I had it cleaned again, includes the chimney, however 2 nights ago I heard a metallic noise inside the lit and hot fireplace which didnít sound right. I opened slowly the door and notice right behind the door what it looked like a pipe or rod with many symmetrical holes across the length of it had fallen down. This pipe was secured on the top left wall of the firebox and the right end of the pipe was on the floor of the firebox.

Not knowing what was going on I took a shovel and removed the burning logs to my concrete patio which is located just next to the fireplace. The next day with a light I inspected the firebox and noticed there are 4 similar pipes at the top holding 2 large firebricks about 6Ē square each and about 1Ē thick. Each pipe fits on the left wall in a hole and at the right each pipe has a slit at the end which fits at a male prong on the right wall. My guess is the cleaning guy did not fit properly the pipe on the right wall and with some vibration the pipe fell.

The above incident brings to my question: is there anything I should do / check inside the fireplace (so I donít rely on the cleaning guy alone) and since the insert is approaching 20 years since it was installed, what is the lifespan of these inserts?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-18, 02:21 PM
The same pipe fell off again tonight. Perhaps there is more to it than I thought. Any ideas?

Old 12-19-18, 11:29 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That pipe sounds like one of the secondary air tubes. Its an emissions thing to help burn off some additional gasses. I donít have a regency, but on my stove the air tubes are secured with a cotter pin on one end. Does yours have that?

Old 12-19-18, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your reply. Now I know these pipes (I have 4) are for the emissions and they dont have a cotter pin but they have a notch on one end and you need to hit it hard with a hummer so it will lock.