Gas log fireplace - how to start?

Old 11-23-18, 08:35 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Gas log fireplace - how to start?

Anyone knows how to start this thing?

Name:  insert.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  47.4 KB

It has remote to it. I can't turn the pilot light on. No idea, no manual. Came with the house. Comfort Stoves 13 yo fireplace. Do I need to remove the glass and manually light pilot? Remote box blinks when trying to turn on, but I doubt it will without pilot lit.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-23-18 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 11-23-18, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Turn the gas control knob until PILOT lines up with left blue arrow. Push that knob and hold in. While holding it in push the spark ignition button. It could take up to five minutes for the pilot to light. After the pilot lights...... keep the knob in for one minute. After one minute let it out. If the pilot stays lit..... turn that same knob to ON. The burner is ready to light.

Old 11-24-18, 05:52 AM
Thanks, PJ. Got it.
Our furnace blower went kaput yesterday. F-place is main source of heat now

Old 11-24-18, 09:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Of course your furnace picked a major holiday to break down. Good thing you have a backup.

Old 11-24-18, 03:58 PM
Backup? No. It's space heaters across the place. I am on propane tank that happens to be at 28% and I have no idea how fast fireplace will chug through it. Or, how soon they will come to refill it. All stores are closed, nothing happens till maybe Monday as blower is 13 yo, so who knows if it can even be replaced, Or, they may need to bring it from places else. So we are looking at few days of 65 inside... it's a big house to warm up with 3 space heaters.
That fireplace was a desperate call...
Surely, after DW came back home after night shift she said - Oh, yeah, I noticed that furnace did sound unusual..but forgot to tell you. Guy, bless his heart, who came over to look at it by 9pm, said - if you called me mid day, I'd have had it done for you today. Thank you, DW.

Old 11-25-18, 03:25 PM
Well, Ave my propane company! Fill truck actually showed few hrs ago and filled me up.
Also, I found that fireplace uses very little propane. According to internet all mighty, 100 lb of propane (25 g) will last 3 weeks if fireplace is used for 4 hrs a day.
I happen to have a smart f-place with remote that senses indoor temp and turns it on and off at preset temp. So I have remote set to 70 and placed about 12 feet away from f-place. Now it turns on for 30 min, warms it up, turns off.
Hopefully the rest wil resolve in the next few days.

Old 12-19-18, 07:02 AM
I have to bump this thread.
We had another power outage yesterday.
I can't manually turn the fireplace on. Pilot is on. Rocker switch is in On position. It won't fire.
I just started it from remote this morning, with power restored. But I raised set temp on remote to 75 degrees, with 68 inside. Thereafter, it turns on and off manually fine. But, power is present.
I don't really want to shut down electricity to the house to check if it will turns on now.
Generally speaking - why it wouldn't turn on yesterday night, during outage?

Old 12-19-18, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Usually, but not always, if it has a pilot light...... it's a millivolt system and can fire with no power.
That may be a 24vac controlled fireplace which means it won't work with no AC power.

I know you can't find a model number. If you can see the wiring on the gas valve.... the terminal markings will be 24v OR TH - TP - TH+TP.

Old 12-20-18, 02:56 AM
That was totally odd.
I read through manual. Somewhere in it it said that thermostat setting may not be high enough above the ambient for fireplace to start. So, when the power was restored, I jacked temp settings on REMOTE to 75, with inside being at 68. Fireplace started. I turned it off, back on manually - started.
Went to main panels, shut down electricity to the house. Went back, turned it to On - it started.
So go figure, right? Appears, remote reset something in its electronic mind so that it will start manually...with no AC.

Old 12-20-18, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Does your remote receiver run on batteries ? Most do but not all of them.
Most fireplaces have a manual switch on them that also lights the burner.
It doesn't require any power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: