Regency gas fireplace valve is bad?

Old 02-24-19, 04:40 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Regency gas fireplace valve is bad?

We have a Regency U35 natural gas fireplace. Was working great but now, if I can get the pilot light (it's a manual pilot), the main burner won't turn on and then the pilot won't shut off (3-position valve: off/pilot/on). It used to light quickly (both the pilot and the main burner) but now you have to hold the pilot for about 30 seconds (used to only be about 10) and the main burner doesn't light at all. This seems to be more of a valve issue than a thermocouple, would you agree?

Thanks,
BB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-19, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Do you keep turning the pilot off ? Usually it's left on for the season. After you shut the gas valve off..... it could take a minute for the pilot to go out.

The thermocouple only keeps the pilot lit. It's the thermopile power that opens the main gas valve.

Old 02-24-19, 06:00 PM
B
I have been turning the pilot off & on. We got this unit used and our upstairs is an electronic ignition unit so maybe I was being too cheap (trying to save gas by not running the pilot). I can't say with 100% certainty but it seems like it was shutting off pretty quick when I turned the unit too the off position.

So, it sounds like it would be the thermopile? I would find it a bit of an odd coincidence that the pilot was taking longer to stay lit (thermocouple to heat up enough) and the thermopile going out at the same time but not entirely out of the question.

Thanks,
BB

Old 02-24-19, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
More than likely the pilot orifice needs to be cleaned. The flame needs to be pretty brisk for the thermopile to generate enough power for the valve.

Old 02-24-19, 06:46 PM
B
Thanks Pete, I'll give that a try. I did restart it just a bit ago, pilot stayed lit but wouldn't shut off after nearly a minute. As soon as I flip the gas valve shut, it stops then.

BB