Gas Fireplaces - No Idea How To Use?

Old 09-02-19, 09:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Fireplaces - No Idea How To Use?

I bought a townhouse recently that came with a gas fireplace in the master bedroom and another in the living room - both share a chimney. When I had the home inspected, everything checked out OK (chimney, fireplaces, etc.), and I wrote down some instructions on how to use the fireplaces, but unfortunately lost them and don't remember anything specific. Would prefer not to blow myself up, or do anything unsafe.

Can anyone point me to some info or instructions on how to use these gas fireplaces. I know it involves lighting a pilot light for them (although have no idea how to do this, where it is, or whether to leave it lit all the time), and then turning a knob to actually light fireplace, but beyond that am clueless. See attached for photos of the fireplaces (hopefully that helps identify them). Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 09-02-19, 11:37 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
All the good stuff is in the area below the log, behind the vent!

I would venture that they are all pretty standard but my first suggestion would be to look in there for a manufacturer then see if you can look up instructions for your specific model!

Old 09-03-19, 07:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is the one knob the only control for the logs? If so then you likely turn it to a pilot position and push in and hold. Light the pilot and continue holding the knob in for a minute. Then let go of the knob and the pilot should stay lit. Then you can rotate the knob to light the main fire and adjust the flame size.

Old 10-21-19, 02:18 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your firplace also has a damper which must be in the open position when you use it. If it's closed, no air can go through your chimney.

When you stick your head in the fireplace and look up, you should see sunlight.

You also need to have your chimney cleaned every couple of years depending on use.

The little box on the right is to light the fire, but would probably be able to turn on the gas and use lighter as well. The doors need to be open while the fire is on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: