Gas fireplace questions

Old 10-24-19, 07:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas fireplace questions

Okay, so I have a few questions about my gas fireplace. What I know about it is that the house was built in 2015, there is one switch that lights the fire while simultaneously turning on the pilot light, and the valve(?) the part you turn on the front face of the fireplace is very difficult to turn at all. The above are pictures of it lit and the only instructions we have for it. Also, when we had the home inspection earlier this year when buying the house they couldn’t get the fireplace to work and the owner came back saying that the heat had to be switched on. After about 15 minutes my husband finally got it working and the thing you turn, now turned as much as possible, is the reason why the pilot light wasn’t originally working. At first it just made the same sound as when you turn on a burner on a gas stove, the crackling noise. After he finally got it to turn a tiny bit more it lit when he tried the switch again. I know the switch controls the pilot because when he flipped the switch off it has nothing left whereas my mom’s has a tiny blue ember when the pilot light alone is lit. The fire had been lit for over an hour when I took the picture in case that matters.

So first, what type of fireplace is this?

Why would the heat have to be switched on to make the fireplace work if there is a switch to turn it off and on? Wouldn’t there be gas to the fireplace whether the heat was switched on or not?

Why are the flames so low and heat only extending out about a foot? (Down to about two inches if I close the glass at the front.) How can we fix this so that the fireplace is more than just decorative?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: