Need help to modify wood stove inserted in fireplace for a blower

Old 12-20-19, 10:16 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help to modify wood stove inserted in fireplace for a blower

Right now I have a wood stove that the previous home owner slid into a fireplace and put a blower behind it. It has worked ok but the fan isn’t blowing like it used to. I was wondering what you all would do besides replacing the whole stove( I’ll be doing that eventually) I just need to get by this winter. My question is what would you all do with what I’ve got? I was thinking about getting a dual fan system and putting it behind the stove again. I’ve seen a fan system you mount on top of wood stoves, but I don’t know how well they work. I don’t want to spend more than $100 either.

Old 12-20-19, 02:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
We have no idea what stove or blower you have so... Look at the blower and see what the problem is. Is there an obstruction blocking airflow? Is the fan or squirrel cage rusting out? Is the motor running at the full speed it should?

Old 12-21-19, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I personally would be hesitant to offer any advice on the set up you describe.

Preusumeably you have home insurance and policies are very specific on wood burning appliances and how they are installed.
it is likely that if someone instaled a free standing wood burner as a fireplace insert it would not pass inspection which could void your insurance policy.
I would suggest now would be a good time to look into a replacement or at least look at the specifics of your insurance policy.

Old 12-21-19, 05:29 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
I agree with GregH.
But in the interim pull the stove and find out what the problem with the fan is.
Could be that it is just very dirty.
Would also be a good time to clean/check the chimney and the stove itself re firebricks etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: