Roof sheathing question

Old 03-16-16, 10:44 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof sheathing question

I'm sheathing a gable roof for a small workshop using 5/8" cdx plywood. Each half of the roof measures 5' x 13' 4". If I use full sheets of plywood along the eave I'll have to use 9-1/2" wide strips of plywood along the top (the remaining 1 foot minus 2-1/2" for the ridge vent). Is this too narrow and if so what's the minimum recommended width that can be used?

Old 03-16-16, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Use 5/8" h-clips between rafters and it will be fine. 2 1/2" is way too much for venting.

Old 03-16-16, 04:30 PM
D
I am definitely going to use clips. 2 1/2" was a guestimate based on the 2x ridgeboard, but I'm pretty sure the instructions on the coil of ridge vent that I bought calls for 1 1/2". Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-16-16, 05:12 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Their 1.5" recommendation is based upon the ridge vent being 3/4" on each side. With a ridge beam you leave 3/4" each side of the edge of the beam. Since the roof has a slope it becomes a question of measuring along the slope or horizontally from the ridge beam to the plywood. And if you think anyone measures it this precisely, they don't. The vent requirements are plus or minus 50% so close will be just fine.

This sounds like a small building so probably a small attic. If the attic is sealed off from the space below then it will have very little vent pressure. If it is open to the space below, then the full height adds to the vent pressure.

Bud

Old 03-22-16, 08:57 PM
D
Thanks for the info. It's a small workshop (7'2" x 10') and the overhead storage space (attic) will be open to the space below. There will also be continuous soffit vents along both eaves.

Old 03-22-16, 09:32 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Coil of ridge vent!!!
Do not use any form of ridge vent that comes in a roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your not going to get enough air flow and the ridge will look like an Andaconda eating a rat.
All my major roofing supplyers stopped selling it long ago because of all the issues with it.
Not even sure why you would be using 5/8 CDX in your area, way over kill and a whole lot heavyer to install.
1/2" OSB would have been cheaper and easier to install.

Old 03-25-16, 05:15 PM
D
I've been told that OSB doesn't do well if allowed to get wet. From personal experience I know that plywood can withstand moderate exposure to water (i.e., a couple of rainstorms during the construction process) without having to worry about having to replace it.

The reason for using 5/8" plywood is because I weigh well over 200 pounds and want to be able to get up on the roof (i.e., to repair the rain gutters; remove tree branches and debris; paint the siding; etc.) without having to tippy-toe about as the roof flexes below.

Old 03-26-16, 02:57 PM
D
Regarding the ridge vent: we have several boxes of old toys stored in a box in a small storage shed in our back yard, which doesn't have a ridge vent, just a small aluminum vent on one side. It got so hot in the shed over the summer that some some of the plastic and rubber toys melted together, turning them into unrecognizable, multi-colored blobs.

So that's why I'm going with a ridge board this time I'm going with a ridge vent this time around. If I end up not liking it I'll remove it and cut a hole in the side of the shed for ventilation .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: