What type of fascia should I use?

Old 03-16-16, 12:11 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of fascia should I use?

I'm in the process of building a small shed/workshop. It has a gable roof with 2x6 rafters that have plumb tail cuts. I'm planning to use 1x8 rough sawn cedar for the fascia. What size board should I use for the subfascia? Should it be the same width as the rafter plumb cut or can it be smaller since it's going to be covered by the fascia board? I considered using a 2x8 fascia board with no subfascia, but a 1x8 seems better from an aesthetic standpoint. I will be installing rain gutters along the eave as well, therefore will need something solid to tie into.

My other question is about the rake fascia. I've read that when you have a barge rafter on the gable ends that it is considered to be the fascia and you don't have to put anything over it. Is this correct? If I decide to cover the underside of the gable overhang with cedar strips/planks then I assume that it'll be necessary to cover the barge rafters and edges of the strips with some kind of fascia board?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-16, 05:42 PM
D
After doing a little research it seems that fascia is pretty much a matter of personal choice, so I've decided I'm going to use 2x8's along the eaves and 1x8's over the barge rafters on the gable end.

Old 03-16-16, 05:44 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
I give up what's a "barge rafter"?
Got any pictures to clear it up?
In this area we use cheap pine and wrap it with aluminum coil stock for a trouble free, no having to paint fashia.

Old 03-22-16, 09:50 PM
D
"Barge rafter", aka, a "fly" rafter. It's the rafter located at the end of a gable overhang. (apparently the term "barge rafter" originated from "verge rafter", "verge" or "varge" meaning "edge" in French).
Name:  Barge-Rafters.jpg
Views: 16491
Size:  25.4 KB