Closet framing, for sliding barn doors

Old 04-09-16, 09:18 PM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
Closet framing, for sliding barn doors

The house in question is a turn of the century home that never had closets originally. At some point (1990s), somebody framed in a closet with bifold doors and wood paneling. Very little actually held the new wall to any part of the structure. A few nails into the existing plaster and lath walls, and the bottom plate was nailed into the hardwood floor.

So, that went away. What I'd like to do is replace it with a sliding "barn door." The wall runs parallel to the ceiling joists, so when I rebuild it, I'm going to need to get up into that and add some blocking (since it won't line up with the joists). I'm also going to add a beefier header, since the barn doors will be hanging from a rail on it.

My biggest concern, though, is the connection of the bottom plate to the floor. Because the barn doors hang off of one side of the wall (rather than in line like with a swinging door), I'm worried that the weight distribution will start torquing on the framing. If I just nail the new bottom plate back into the hardwood, do you think I risk the nails pulling out, or other problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-16, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Nailing into the hardwood won't present any problems until the day you want to replace the hardwood. By all rights, you should cut out the hardwood and build the wall on top of the subfloor.

Old 04-10-16, 05:19 PM
S
That's the issue I've been wrestling with. If it were 10 year old engineered flooring, I'd start chopping away. But they're original hardwoods, marred only by the nail holes from the previous closet framing -- and whatever holes I might put in.

I can certainly cut out for the new framing, but if the room is ever redone again and the closet removed, it would make for an ugly cheap patch, or an expensive good one. I guess in my mind, a few nail holes is less horrible than chopping out a 4 inch slice of 125 year old flooring. Assuming that someone wants to keep the original flooring, that is.

Old 04-11-16, 06:24 AM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
Any chance that the existing boards could be saved? Is it possible to place the wall where the bottom plate would replace a removed board?

Old 04-14-16, 11:22 AM
S
Been running that through my head for a little bit. It might work, with some baseboard and shoe molding to cover the gaps. But then I can't build out the baseboard too far, since I need clearance for the barn door. Hmm. Yeah, this is going to take some more thinking.