How do I frame between these pipes?

Old 04-23-16, 09:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I frame between these pipes?

I have a clean out on the bottom of this pipe. The inspector said I should frame on both sides of these pipes so the Sheetrock goes flush up against the pipes - that way I just cut a hole in the Sheetrock and the clean out is easily accessible. He wasn't sure how I would frame between these pipes... Help! Thanks in Advance.

Name:  pipe.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  44.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-23-16 at 09:56 AM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-16, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Frame up to the left and right sides of the vertical penetrations, plumb. Angle a board underneath... to meet the top of a short, plumb stud. Cut one or two blocks 14 1/2" long and place them horizontally between those studs and shoot those blocks to the concrete wall. Then shoot the loose corner of your framing (where the angled plate under the pipe and the short vertical stud meet) to that block.

Frame the space between the pipes in the same manner. Measure the shape, build that section of wall on the floor then hold it up and mark where your blocks need to go. Shoot the blocks to the concrete wall first... then you will be able to shoot your triangle framing to the blocks.

You might want to use screws so that you can adjust the framing because you will surely need to tweak it to get it both plumb AND straight with the sections of wall on either side

Its also not imperative that you frame the wall as I have described, outlining all the pipes... you really just need a bare minimum amount of framing.. just enough to hold drywall. So you could use the same idea... pretend like you are framing that wall like normal, but where a pipe bisects a stud, just cut a section out and pin it to the concrete with a block that is right next to the cut ends of the stud. Make sense?

Old 04-23-16, 12:11 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
A whole lot easier to just build a wall in front of the pipes, instead of trying to work around them.

Old 04-23-16, 01:33 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Wall

I agree with Joe. Build the wall in front of the pipes with an access door to the clean-out.

Old 04-23-16, 05:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much everyone! What sleeper said makes sense but it also sounds way over my head. This is my first framing project. I will frame in front and get an access panel. My vanity will go there so I may not even get an access panel, just cut a big hole in the vanity.

Old 04-23-16, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
One other benefit of framing in front is that there is less of a chance of some goof putting a nail or drywall screw right into your pvc.

Old 04-24-16, 11:17 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Access Panel

Make sure your access panel is large enough to get tools in to open the clean-out.