Who do you call to check the beams and joists?

Old 05-20-16, 06:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Who do you call to check the beams and joists?

Mother says that she hears the beams 'cracking' in 2 bedrooms and she will not even sleep in one, so she wants me to look at the beams and joists. But I have no idea what I should be looking for. Who do you call to check the beams and joists?

Old 05-20-16, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
A carpenter or a framing carpenter would be ok.

Are these beams and joists visible to the eye ?
House / apartment ?
How old ?
Split level ?

Old 05-20-16, 07:38 PM
J
These joist and beams are visible, it is a one story house with a basement. About 40 years old.

Old 05-20-16, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Can you shoot and post a few pictures for us ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-20-16, 08:14 PM
J
Pictures of what? It is a house with a basement, there is a drop ceiling in the basement, the beams and joists are covered by the drop ceiling. Above that is the floor for the first (and only) floor of the house.
I have no idea what I am supposed to be looking for. For all I know it could just be that the floor in her bedroom is old, there seems to be an opening between the bedroom floor and the baseboard. Could it be that the floor is going bad? and not the joists or beams. Or is this space between the floor and baseboard just something that happens with a house that is 40 years+ old.
Should I just have her call someone to check the beams and joists?

Old 05-20-16, 08:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does the drop ceiling have removable panels. If so remove them under the bedroom and take a couple of pictures showing the joists. We will go from there. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 05-21-16, 06:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I seriously doubt the joists and beams are creaking. It is most likely the poor connection between the joists and the subflooring. Nails tend to pull out slightly over time, and walking on the area will force either the nail back in the hole or the subflooring up and down on the nail shank. I think her fears are unfounded, and correcting the creaking could be accomplished by someone actually looking at the subflooring from underneath while another person walks on the floor. After locating a problem, a shim can be glued and driven into the crack to keep the subflooring from moving up and down. Is the flooring above carpet, tile, wood, etc.?

Once we see the pictures, we can make better determinations. It would help also to have a composite picture of all the support in the basement (posts).

Old 05-21-16, 06:41 AM
J
Received 82 Votes on 77 Posts
Could be lots of things.
When's it happening, all the time, just in the morning when the house is warming up as the sun comes up, when someone's walking around the room?
Using an attic for storage when it was not designed to support a load from above?
When the heat turns turns on and off, when waters being used?
Someone cut out any of the cross ties or collar ties, parts of a truss in the attic to make room for storage?
More then two layers of shingles on the roof?

Old 05-21-16, 06:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
How much, if any, deflection is there in that bed rm when you walk across it? It isn't uncommon for houses to creak but if even if everything is solid you still can quieten them up.

Old 05-21-16, 12:13 PM
J
Thanks

Thanks,

She is going to call an architect. She had me look at the beams and I did not see any cracking, but she says now that she is going to call an architect.
I have not heard the cracking that she says she hears. I guess that she hears it at night.
I think that it is just the creaks and groans of an old house that she hears.
Also there a parts of the floor that makes squeaking noises when you walk on it, but hey, it is an old house (over 40).

Would it be less expensive to call someone else? A carpenter?

Old 05-21-16, 12:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Don't know why she would call in an architect. They make drawings from ideas. A structural engineer would be more in line, but a total waste of money, IMO. A good reliable carpenter could assess what is going on and can make good recommendations. I would also not limit it to one estimate, just to keep it honest.

Old 05-21-16, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 773 Votes on 714 Posts
If the house has vinyl siding that may be what she is hearing.

Old 05-21-16, 01:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
It's not uncommon for a house to make noises as it cools off in the evening but it sure doesn't sound like it anything to be overly concerned with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: