will this floor hold this pool table

Old 05-30-16, 08:18 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
will this floor hold this pool table

i have to move my 4x7 olhausen pool table from 1st floor to 2nd. half of 2nd floor is a converted attic to bedroom. there are 2x10 16 OC so i think this looks good but wanted to make sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-16, 08:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
How far do those floor joists span?

Old 05-30-16, 09:19 AM
L
they span 16
happy memorial day

Old 05-30-16, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Not OC (on center) but how long from side wall to side wall ? The room is 16' wide ?

Is this a pro model slate topped table ?

Old 05-30-16, 09:34 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It's like having 6 adults standing in the area at once, so probably not a problem with the weight.

Usual problem with pool tables on the second floor of frame structure is just walking around it may bounce it enough to move the balls. If the table has one piece slate, good luck getting it up stairs.

Is the ceiling high enough and room big enough?

Old 05-30-16, 10:54 AM
L
room is 12x20 and 3 piece slate so other than weight wont be an issue up the steps. i had read somewhere if you walk around and cannot feel someone else walking it should be ok, or put a ball on a plate and see what happens i guess?

Old 05-30-16, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joists are usually designed for 1/360 deflection. I think you are confused by the spacing (16" on center), and the length of the joists. To determine the deflection, you must know the spacing and also the length of the joists.
There are no guarantees, these matters are usually figured by an engineer.
However, take a 2 x 10, 14 feet long and 16" o.c. You can expect that joist to deflect almost 1/2" under full live plus dead load.

Someone mentioned bounce. Just jump around in the middle of the room (or a couple of people) and see if you can feel the bounce.

Old 05-30-16, 11:43 AM
L
some of my attic is ripped up for another project so with some effort i probably could find how long the joists were in that section but for the section that the room is above, i dont know how even an engineer would tell how long the joists are unless they have magic powers to see through the floor.

Old 05-30-16, 12:56 PM
Engineering aside, the floor is probably strong enough or is definitely strong enough for the weight (without excessive bounce).

So let's treat it as pool players, Carbide did. I would say the table would be stable unless someone deliberately tried to shake the table or jump on the floor.
I think even shaking the table would be hard because these are very fine pool tables.

Old 05-31-16, 03:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
i dont know how even an engineer would tell how long the joists are unless they have magic powers to see through the floor.
If you know what is directly below the floor and which direction the floor joists run it's fairly easy to figure how far it is between supports.

Old 06-01-16, 11:23 AM
L
regarding ceiling high enough comment above. what is the issue there. its 1 ft lower than the other ceiling so i know when i move the light ill have to put the chain up differently for the pool table light. or i may not even use the pool table light. unsure. i have no other ceiling fixture options in that room and just with that light in there it would be mighty dim. unsure i want to buy a bunch of table lamps though with 7 ft ceiling i know a ceiling light/fan would be a bad idea

Old 06-01-16, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used ceiling hugger fans [some with lights] on 7' ceilings and they have worked well for me ... but I've not waved a pool cue around them either.

Old 06-01-16, 04:13 PM
The only reason I can think of why height matters is shooting techniques.
Some people will make a good shot and immediately raise the stick in the air.

Nobody did it better than Tom Cruise in The Color of Money

Old 06-06-16, 06:14 AM
L
i'm assuming its not wise to put your weight on the slate? 250 lb

i cannot decide on whether to move my existing 3 light above the table when i move it upstairs or just have a single light for the entire room. my plan is to have the table moved in 2 weeks so i gotta decide by then. just the 3 light thing will make the rest of the room very dim and necessitate at least 2 other lights.

unless i can place a board across the rails and kneel on that? then i can decide later on. its a 12 x 20 room so lighting above the table has to be considered 'today' but overall room planning can wait for down the road.

Old 06-06-16, 10:15 AM
L
another thought. i can definitely slide the table over a few feet after its installed to get better access to the light. would that mess up the leveling if i moved it?

Old 06-06-16, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't recommend moving the table after professional installation. I don't know what model you have but these are very fine tables, some of the best.

There are many people here that can help you with light placement, it needs to be done now.

Old 06-28-16, 08:31 AM
L
i have to stop by the pool table place to chat sometime but just wondering if anyone thinks its possible for me to take it apart and upstairs and they will put it back together

i'm assuming they are all standard tables and they dont need to see where 'things' came from in order to put it back together. i have help for the heavy lifting part.

Old 07-20-16, 07:36 AM
L
turns out the guy i used to work with years ago came to move the table with the owner of the company. so it was nice catching up. 400 to move it and when i watched them it didnt seem too bad. the staples were PITA> and i wasnt watching when they used wax to fill the holes but it seemed like a fun process. 2 hours to move it.

now to get some shorty sticks. also put up 240 watt light above the table. can never have too much light.

now who wants to clean out the rest of the room