Floor joist to sill repair

Old 10-02-16, 12:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor joist to sill repair

So I have a house under contract thhat I am getting for a great price. A flipper was.in over his head and decided to bail to save money. I have dome a lot of home repair and improvement work so I'm no stranger but haven't done any sagging floor repairs.

When I inspected the house I noticed that both ends of the floor are sagging towards the centerline. It extends up to the second floor due to how the house was built. It is an older house with an exterior brick construction and an interior stick construction.

I found the culprit down in the basement. The main floor joist that spans from one end to the other down the centerline of the house has come detached from the sill. Its drooping about an inch and half on one end and an inch on the other. Just looking at it, it looks to be a fairly straight forward affair.

I plan on using some spinning jacks to raise each end back up to level and then place a wooden column underneath to support it. The basement is concrete so I do not believe I will need to poor new footers though I may need to find a way to spread the load since I do not know how thick it is. There is only a single 4x4 supporting the center of this main floor joist so I figure the basement floor has to be pretty thick.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-16, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Installing the vertical lumber will temporarily let you see if that is helping on the first floor. A footer should be poured at each location to spread out the vertical pressure you will be applying, but I would ensure that is the only modification and that that modification will help. What is the length of the joist in question? You may need to either double or triple it to accommodate your post, and a 6x6 would be much better than a 4x4.

Last edited by chandler; 10-02-16 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-02-16, 03:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
You said the beam became detached from the sill. How was it attached to the sill? It should have been resting on top. I would investigate how/why the beam was able to move. Have the basement/foundation walls moved?