Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Filler for too large of gap between pieces of plywood underlayment?

Old 12-27-16, 12:58 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey all..

Installed some 5/8" plywood over old plank subfloor. Obeyed the 1/8" gap rule. Had some unexpected drying shrinkage but nothing too bad. In my hall however, there is one gap that opened up to 1/4" or more smack dab in the middle of the hallway (running across). I plan on putting carpet in there, so what should I use to fill that gap? I trolled around but never found a real answer. Someone said floor leveling compound, and immediately someone else said it's too brittle and will crumble over time. Someone else said just caulk it, but wouldn't that still allow a little divot to form across the hall in the carpet over time? I'm tempted to just cut a 1/4" shim of plywood to stick in there, but figured I'd ask you guys first and see what a 'pro' might do in this situation. Also it would be nice to know proper procedure for this type of thing if it happens in different areas down the line. I really, really do not want to unscrew a whole piece, re-lay the felt, and set another one if something else can be done. (and if there is a good answer, please let me know if it would work for both under carpet and under hardwood... for future reference)

Thanks guys!

Brian

Old 12-27-16, 01:20 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
YOu mention that it is screwed down, cant you just undo the screws, bump it over and be done?

Carpet and pad? if heavy stuff might not even have an issue!

Old 12-27-16, 04:01 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
It's been a long time since I've used floor leveler, but I've never known it to crumble. It's meant for floors.

Old 12-27-16, 12:39 PM
B
@marq1

The piece is cut for several corners around the bottom of a closet, a corner, and the top of the stairs There's no way I can just bump it over, I'd have to cut a new one and re-screw in an already over-screwed (lol) area. It's really solid and squeak free, so I'd like to keep it if at all possible.

@Norm201
I figured as much... but since there is supposed to be a 1/8" gap there anyway, how do I go about using a compound like a floor-leveler in that gap? Wouldn't filling the gap entirely defeat the purpose of the expansion gap to begin with?

I was hoping there was a solution strong enough to not show the gap through the carpet, yet flexible enough to move with the plywood when it expands/contracts... Am I way off base?

Old 12-27-16, 01:52 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
If the edges are still with the 1/8 gap, I don't think the fill-in job in the middle will affect the floor. It should expand contract in at the edges. And only if temperature and moisture fluctuate to an appreciable amount. I don't think you need to worry about it. Others may not agree.

Old 12-27-16, 07:12 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Then rip a 3" wide piece of plywood and cut our a 2 3/4" wide strip off the floor and call it done!

Old 12-27-16, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Fill the gap with subfloor adhesive and forget it. You are splitting hairs.

Old 01-03-17, 09:31 AM
B
Thanks for the replies guys... and @xsleeper.. isn't this entire forum for splitting hairs? lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: