Which Nails to Use?

Old 01-06-17, 09:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which Nails to Use?

Thank you for your time. I am finishing my basement. I am going to start my project tomorrow. I have experience with framing, etc, but I have no clue what kind of nails to use. When I go to the nail aisle at Home Depot, it is overwhelming. My carpenter friend tells me to use galvanized nails when nailing studs to the bottom plate. And regular nails on the top plate. But when I go to the store I see things like: common, box, sinker, galvanized, coated, etc. Some are 3 1/4 inch and some are 3 1/2 inch.

I would just like for someone to go to the Home Depot website and send me a link to precisely the correct nails I need to use. And I'm not looking for the cheapest stuff. If it costs a little more, but is a better nail and works better, then that's what I want.

Is there anyone that can help me? Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-17, 11:55 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Need to know what it is your trying to do, your post leads us to believe it's framing.
Looking for hand nails, or nails for a nail gun?
If it's framing and your using a pressure treated bottom plate then you need ACQ approved nails, not just galvanized.
Should say so right on the box.
What Size Nails for Framing Walls? | Home Guides | SF Gate
Hand driven 16D nails will be 3-1/2", ones for a nail gun will be 3-1/4 which will work fine.
What Size Nails for Framing Walls? | Home Guides | SF Gate

Old 01-06-17, 12:12 PM
S
You're right, I did leave that very vague. Sorry about that. I am framing. I will be building all of my walls starting tomorrow (it will take me a few Saturdays to get all my walls framed).

I'm using a hammer. The old fashioned way. haha

So basically, just nailing studs to the bottom and top plates. I've got a Ramset for nailing the bottom plates to the concrete, so I'm good there. Just not sure what kind of nails to use for building the walls. There's so many to choose from at Home Depot!

Thank you

Old 01-06-17, 12:15 PM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Nails

If your bottom plate is treated lumber:

https://www.mazenails.com/resources/acq-nails

I have no affiliation with Maze Nails.

16d coated sinkers are fine for untreated framing lumber.

Old 01-06-17, 12:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
I prefer sinkers when hand nailing as they drive easier with less likelihood of splitting the wood but they will bend easier than common nails. Most galvanized nails are ACQ compatible but you need to read the label to know for sure.

Old 01-06-17, 12:32 PM
S
Thank you both. With me being a "greenhorn" do you recommend that I use another nail besides the sinker? I don't want to be bending and pulling out nails all day long.

Old 01-06-17, 12:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
It really depends on your aim with the hammer. Any nail can bend. You might buy a pound of each and see first hand how it works for you.

Old 01-06-17, 01:11 PM
S
That's a good idea. Thank you all very much for your help today. You've really took some stress off of my mind. I was so worried about what nails to get tonight. Have a great day.