Adding a floor joist

Old 03-10-17, 05:33 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a floor joist

Hi, so Im trying to extend a room into some attic space. I need to add 3 floor joists to allow for an 8 ft wide expansion. 1 will sit on a load bearing wall. Now for the issue. A strut (beam perpindicular to the roof and attached to the load bearing wall) gets in the way of the last 2 feet and 2 trusses. Now I dont need that floor space but I do want the open wall space at the far end (media room). Under the strut are 2 by 4s but there is a strong back in line with the end wall the other trusses terminate at.

My question. Can I use the struts to support a shelf area in the room? That or can I run floor trusses underneath the strut to the strong back and then build a shelf on flooring? Other suggestions are appreciated as well.

Old 03-11-17, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It would help if we could see what you see. Post a few pictures of the area where you want to make the modifications and tell us what each one represents. I am sure we can come up with suggestions or warnings for you. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-11-17, 05:31 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll try to get pictures

Tried last night before posting but the stupid flash wouldn't fire on my phone and it was to dark to see. I'm making a sketch but will definently get photos soon. I need to add in about 3 floor joists. The 2x4s are over the overhang of my porch, the two walls I indicate as load bearing are my exterior walls. The strut would be in the way of the room but like I said earlier I'm willing to build a shelf in the room (more interested in 8 ft width wall space for a projector). One last thing the strong back I believe from memory spans between the exterior walls that makes my porch/entryway.

I need to put joists 1 or 2 2x4s past the exterior wall (one left of the 2x4 labeled one in the drawing).

Anyway I'm gonna list my possible solutions but I will post photos. I'm hoping that the sketch will maybe yield an idea to look into so I can focus my photos on those later. Really appreciate all the help I get from this forum, get to start this massive undertaking Wednesday.

Possible solutions after lots of reading.
1) Attach 2x8s or 2x10s to the 2x4s (think this is called sistering)
2) Attach a 2x6 on the 2x4s with glue/plywood on the side to keep them from shearing
3) Maybe put a truss across to the strong back?
4) Maybe utilize the strut in that area for some support too?

Side question, what actually qualifies as a floor joist? Does it have to be an wooden I beam? 2x10?Name:  20170311_072318.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  10.6 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: