Basement wall framing not 16 inch apart

Old 03-16-17, 05:17 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement wall framing not 16 inch apart

I am trying to put back the drywall in my basement which was flooded before I purchased the house and was professionally cleaned. As part of the cleanup the drywall was removed and left with studs around.
Now I intend to put back the drywall and finish it up but it is a nightmare since none of the studs are 16" apart which leaves me with the ends of the drywall hanging midway between the studs.
I am trying to put up a stud where the joints meet to avoid future cracking and using tapcorn screws/bolts to fix them to the cinder block. Some of the areas the cinder block is not level which pops the stud way out from the rest of the studs.
This is just so time consuming and not the result I expect since I do not want the drywall to look all crooked in the end.
One thing tht came to my mind is have 3 or 4 pieces of wood nailed horizontally between 2 studs and screw the drywall in just those 3 or 4 places where it will be supported by the horizontal pieces of wood. Is this acceptable by the code and will last.
Also I am trying to add insulation to between the studs which I have already cut (see pic). Would it be better if I seal the gap between the stud and the foam board for better results.
Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
BV

Attached Images  
Old 03-16-17, 05:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It's not a good idea to screw furring strips into the foundation wall. That is just asking for water to find it's way thru A much better practice is to build a stud wall an inch or so off of the foundation wall. That way you can get a straight/level wall with plenty of room for electrical and insulation if needed.

Old 03-16-17, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Check it to see if the studs are 8' on center. If they are, you are fine. They could have used 19.2 or 24... both are also common layouts that are 8' on center.

You may just have to cut some sheets to length instead of just starting with a full sheet at a corner. That's also to be expected.

Old 03-16-17, 12:27 PM
B
I cant get even one sheet horizontally or vertically 8' or 4' with both ends resting on a stud. the spacing reallly goes from 9", 14" 16" etc and are not even 2X4's.

Old 03-16-17, 12:33 PM
B
Thanks Markar. In the case of building a stud wall, I would not be able to secure it on the top since the top would be in between 2 joists and this would involve permits etc and a whole different effort level. Since the current work involves only putting back dry wall I assume I do not require to pull permits for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: