New to home improvement

Old 03-21-17, 05:25 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New to home improvement

I am completely ignorant to how to remodel my bathroom. I was going to start with the floor but the subfloor needs to be redone. What materials do I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-17, 05:29 PM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
My first suggestion would be to spend an afternoon at the library with some remodeling books just so you get an idea of what's involved with different types of improvements.

Not to discourage, but a bathroom floor (assuming tile) with subfloor repairs is a pretty big undertaking for someone who has not done anything prior.

Old 03-21-17, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 49 Posts
Might want to also check at Lowe's and Home Depot; they often have DIY instruction sessions on Saturdays.

Old 03-21-17, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As a DIY'er.... that project will more than likely take you twice the amount of time it would take a pro.... so keep that in mind too. No shower can be a problem for an extended time.

Old 03-22-17, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As an amateur newbie DIyer I can say even the smaller projects can be worthy of taking your time to research thoughtfully before you dive into it.

Do as much reading and learning as you can. Ask lots of questions, and the folks on this forum seem pretty darn good. Talk with pro's if you can, and be sure they are true well known and respected pros in your community.

I would also say when you get into doing the work, take your time if you possibly can. If time is not a luxury then plan your plan carefully and thoughtfully too. And I'll say it again: make sure every task is PLSF (plumb, level, square and flush) to what you are building/attaching to. Every fraction of a degree of error/offset can become more and more difficult to deal with as you progress through your project. If I have learned anything its "good enough" is often not good enough at all.

Best wishes!

Last edited by Bob_Plumb; 03-22-17 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo