Over garage door storage question

Old 05-28-17, 02:37 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Over garage door storage question

Hi all,

I have built an over garage door storage rack using 2x4's, 2x10's, Unistrut and threaded rod.

It's holding up really well but I notice after being up for a couple months that the 2x10s laying across the struts are starting to bow in the middle.

I was wondering if I can just add another run of Unistrut in the middle BUT didn't know about tying in to the beam going across the middle of the ceiling. This beam (I beam??) only spans the garage. The inside of the downstairs has another beam going across the ceiling but isn't the same piece.

See my pictures here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
(The garage door tracks are kinda in the way but you'll notice the 2x4s screwed into the ceiling with threaded rod going to unistrut holding 2x10s and 2x4 and a sheet of plywood).

This is an attached garage with a second story above.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 02:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The bottom of the rack is awfully close to the GDO track, but to answer your question a run down the middle at the exact same height will alleviate most of the bowing. Once installed, turn the boards over so they will settle in on the middle one.

I would raise the unistrut to a point above all the door hardware and run a lateral piece or even a piece of 2x4, fastening it to the unistrut to keep it from swaying when you pull lumber from it.

Old 05-28-17, 05:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what the beam is that I'm tying in to?

The door track is screwed into it so I'm guessing it's safe.

Old 05-28-17, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure how your garage is built. If it is I joists, they are 3 1/2" wide. If regular joists they are 1 1/2" wide. If LVL, they are 1 3/4" wide. Most likely the joists are running across the face of the garage and they are on 16", 19.2", or 24" center. You'll need to determine that so your support lags will penetrate as close to the center as possible. I wouldn't overload that storage due to the materials is made with. Go easy on it.